FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock B550M Pro4 Fan/pump headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock B550M Pro4 Fan/pump headers
    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 7:31pm
Thanks, you done alt for me, I cant thank you enough ??
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 6:38pm
Nah, any damage would be caused over prolonged use. As I said, it's not critical,
it's just how it was designed to work. I am sure there are plenty of people who
ignore the recommended setup completely.

Using a 3 way splitter could potentially overload the fan header. Even then, it
wouldn't cause immediate damage, it will just cause the components that provide
power to the header to run hotter than they would otherwise. Heat causes degradation
over time. By not overloading the headers you extend the lifespan of the header
and by extension, your board. That said, the board may well be far past outdated
by the time you see any ill effect. In the end it's mostly a peace of mind thing.

I doubt you have done damage to the header or your board, particularly as you
are likely not running your fans at full speed 24/7. In order to do any real damage
your fans would need to draw more power than the header is designed to accommodate
and do so for an extended period of time. I hope this makes sense. You asked for
the correct way to set these things up and so I have done my best to provide the
info you asked for. Much of this is just the safest way/way it was designed to work.
That does not mean other configurations don't work or will cause serious damage.
You would need to overload the headers quite a bit more than 3 fans to cause immediate
damage and in such a case, the board's power protection circuits would likely
shut off the machine before serious damage occurred. Boards today have a lot more
failsafes and protections than they used to. My intention was never to cause you
concern, only to explain how and why you are meant to set up your water cooling
this way.
shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 5:33pm
So far on.my machine i have been running pump on cpu fan 1 and the 3x fans on cpu fan 2 with a 3 splitter.

I must have been lucky ??

Is there any difgerens in what cpu fan 1 and 2 can withstand ?
shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:59pm
No more
shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:59pm
So no Lore than 2 fans on each header if I run out of headers
shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:55pm
Ok thank for the help
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:31pm
For your 360 radiator, yes, each fan to it's own header. If you are short of fan
headers (because of other case fans) then you can use a 2 way splitter for 2 of
them. If you have enough headers on your board give each fan it's own.

For your GF's I am guessing 120mm radiator, I would use a splitter to keep both
fans running off a single PWM controller for optimal speed balancing in push/pull
config.

shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:22pm
Ok.

My gf mobo has cpu fan 1 and cpu fan 2 / wp and 4x chassis / wp headers, were cpu fan 1 is the only one that cant be changed to w_pump in the bios so that is not a wp header.

My mobo had cpu fan 1 and cpu fan 2 / wp and 3x chassis / wp headers were cpu fan 1 is the only one that cant be changed to w_pump in the bios so that is not a wp header.

So ill just choose cpu fan 2 / wp or one of 3/4 chassis / wp headers for the pump and set it to w_pump in the bios for both motherboards.

What would you recommend for my gf 2x radiator fans and mine 3x radiator fans ?

Put each fan on 1 header pr fan?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 2:08pm
I wouldn't recommend a 3 way splitter no. Each header is specifically designed to
provide a certain amount of power (wattage/amps). Overloading fan headers is never
advisable.

All that matters with the pump is that it is connected to a fan header with a
w/pump setting and is set to use it. It does not matter which header you use.

Edited by Xaltar - 31 Mar 2022 at 2:09pm
shamanji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 11:22am
On my girl friends motherboard cpu fan 1 can only be set to :

Custum/silent/standard/performance/full speed and only that, cant choose w_pump on that.

The rest of the fan headers on the motherboard can be set to w_pump mode.

The same goes for my motherboard onlybi have alt more headers on the motherboard asrock trx40 creator.

So is it wrong to use a 3 splitter on 3 x fans and on to 1 header the cpu fan 1 header?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic