ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does X370 Professional Gaming support 4x8Gb£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does X370 Professional Gaming support 4x8Gb£
    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 10:54pm
Hello,

I have a X370 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming and a Ryzen 3700X.
I'm using 2x8Gb of RAM from G.Skill (F4-3200C14D-16GFX), the ram kit is from 2017.

I have bought another kit, the same model, from this year, but when I try to use the 4 sticks the PC doesn't even post. The cooler doesn't spin or light up, and there's no error code on the board.
I've tested both kits individually, tried also one kit on A1/B1 and the slots are fine. Also tried to clear CMOS after installing all sticks and no luck.

Does this board support 4 sticks of ram of this model or not?
Or the 32Gb kit (2x16Gb, F4-3200C14D-32GFX) should be a better choice to get the PC to work with 32Gb?

If I could make the PC work with 32Gb of RAM, 4x8Gb or 2x16Gb, what speeds should I expect from this RAM?
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:44pm
Dear Ricardo,
This has got nothing to do with the board, the memory controller is integrated in the CPU, and runs optimnal at 3200MHz
https://www.amd.com/en/product/8446
Using 3600 or above, doesn't do anything for the overall performance, unless the latency timing is lower, which usually it isn't, higher clock speeds, often can only work with higher latency timing which is slower in performance, only a synthetic memory benchmark, will show better results, but the CPU will not go any faster.
The reason why it istn't working, is that there are only 2 true memory manufacturers, to my knowledge only Samsung and Crucial produce their own PCB's en memory chips.
The rest are assemblers, who buy PCB's and chips, from companies like Hynix, Elpida, Nanya, Samsung, Spectek, Micron and others.
And since introduction of DDR4 there is a huge shortage of chips, so these assemblers buy anything they can lay their hands on.
Problem is the fact that they keep re-using the same partnumber, as long as size, speed and primary timing are the same.
So one day you buy a kit with 512MB Hynix chips on it, next day the same partnumber contains 1GB chips, from another brand, and I have seen people who bought 2 kits in 1 purchase, and both kits had different chips
Memory these days is a silicon lottery
You have 2 working kits, but the chips on these kits simply do not match, and the board cannot find a setting, it can start with.
If I were you, I would return the second kit, and sell the first kit, and go for a 2x 16GB DDR4 3200 or 1600MHz, and I know for a fact that Patriot Viper, usually works on every board.
It is better to use 2 modules, since the memory controller only works in dual channel, and there is no advantage in using 4 modules, also sometimes, 4 modules can only run at lower speeds.
Best slots are A2 B2
Kind Regards
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 7:46am
the fact that not even fan spins suggest there is a short
try using only 1 ram module, test one slot by one to see if you have deffective ram slot
you may also recheck your CPU pins if they arent bent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic