ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock B450 Steel Legend XMP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNGWIZRD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock B450 Steel Legend XMP
    Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 1:47pm
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get XMP to work on my system. I tried to mess with the XMP settings both automatic and manual as well as almost every other fix I could find from googling this question. I even updated to the most recent bios (which also now apparently makes it so that when I select shutdown in windows my computer never fully shuts down and I have to hold the power button) and reset the CMOS pins on the motherboard. I have very little experience when it comes to messing with bios in general but it seems like to me from running CPU-Z that no matter what I change in the bios my settings never have any effect on voltage or frequency. The frequency always reads 2144hz. I have tried 1.35v - 1.45v and it also seems to have no effect. Any help is appreciated because I'm losing my mind trying to fix it.

System Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
Corsair DDR4-3200 (2-16gb sticks) Ram located in slots 2(A-2) and 4(B-2)
Asus Geforce Rtx 3070
Windows 10
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 5:07pm
Hello,

First of all, 1.45 volt is a dangerous value, standard is 1.200V, and 1.350V is already 12% higher, and you cranked it up 24%.
compare it with your wall socket, who would provide 258V instead of 230V, or with a 24% increase 285Volt, you wouldn't do that to your TV or PC.
The memory controller is integrated in the CPU, it is not on the board, and in this case it seems the XMP profile is basicalyy not compatible with the memory controller inside your CPU.
XMP is overclocking for dummies, it is a set of values SUPPOSED to work on all of the thousands of combinations of CPU, Chipset, and motherboard.
It is not guaraanteed to work.
And corsair is NOT a memory manufacturer, but a memory assembler
https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-memory/truth-about-memory-manufacturers
Like most other brands, they buy any PCB and chip, they can lay their hands on, and solder that onto the PCB.
But since introduction of DDR4, there is a big shortage of chips, and as long as the speed, and primary timing stays the same, they keep using the same partnumber.
I have seen people who bought 2 kits of 2 in one buy, and one kit had 512MB Hynix chips, and the second had 1GB chips from another brand, both kits however had the same partnumber.

As far as I know, only Crucial and Samsung are true memory manufacturers, but I have seen a lot of people go for Patriot Viper kits, and they seem to always work with XMP.
3200MHz is the optimal value, you can sue faster memory, but it will not improve your overall performance, unless it has a lower latency timing.
When you want to know which settings are best for your current memory, download thaipoon burner, and ryzen DRAM Calculator.
Google for ryzen DRAM calculator, it will give lots of tutorials, on how to use it
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic