ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other causes for "00" Dr Debug status?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other causes for "00" Dr Debug status?
    Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:32am
I assembled a new build today, which includes a Fatality Pro Series Z170 Gaming i7 board and a Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, with a Corsair H115i water cooler. Careful to mount the CPU the right direction the first time, and only touched it by the edges.

When booting, I get "00" on the Dr. Debug indicator. Resetting CMOS, using these instructions and waiting for ten minutes hasn't helped. Inspecting the socket, I don't see any pins obviously mis-bent (since they are supposed to be bent ~45ยบ). I've removed the CPU and remounted it a couple time, but no love.

Are there other things I should check? Are there reasons the "00" error (check CPU or wipe CMOS) would occur? Any chance this is a problem with the board or BIOS, or is my CPU fried?

Thanks!
tjw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:37am
I suppose I should also mention that the BIOS chips say "P1.10". The CPU compatibility charge for this board seems to say i7-6700K is supported in all versions (though strangely P1.10 isn't listed on the BIOS version list for this board).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 1:18pm
UEFI version P1.10 was likely an early Production version used when the boards were being made, and not used as an update version for downloading.

I'm certain that any UEFI version will be compatible with the i7-6700K. Your board is a later released Z170 board, so any Skylake CPU compatibility besides new processor models is a non-issue.

Other causes of a "00" or "dead" CPU is no power to the CPU. The 4/8 pin CPU power cable must be connected to the connector on the upper left side of the board. It's also important NOT to use a power cable meant for a PCIe/video card. Some older PSUs might allow that connection, but the polarity is reversed as well as only three pins out of the four being +12V. You do not need an eight pin cable plug in that connector, a four pin is fine.

Getting the CPU power cable in place can be a challenge, and if it is bent too much, the metal connectors can be moved out of place.

If one or more pins were bent in the socket, they stand out as a failure in the pattern created by all the other perfectly formed pins.

Defective CPUs out of the box are very rare. Why would you refer to yours as fried?

Did you replace the CMOS jumper after clearing it?

Check the BIOS Selection switch at the bottom of the board. Move it from the A to B position, and back again to be sure it is in the right spot.

Do you have the memory mounted in the board yet?

Did you try pressing the Reset button on the PC case after you pressed the power button?

Are you confident the PSU is working fine?

It is possible the board is defective.
tjw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm
So a combination of, uh, user error and questionable board labeling/install documentation meant I didn't have the CPU power connected. Obviously been a while since I've done this... Embarrassed

If ASRock is listening, it would be great to have the 00 code also list CPU power as possible issue, have the ATX 12V Power Connector listed as CPU power, and label it on the board as CPU power. Right now that connector has a large label HDMI nearby, along with smaller text about 12V ATX, which helped me skip right over it the first time. Doesn't help that my CPU cooler lines cover it up, so I missed it when double-checking stuff.

Thanks for your great checklist -- hopefully this will save others some time too.

With everything reconnected, it failed to boot one more time (giving a code 99 -- PCI-E device issue), but on a reset it made it to the BIOS setup.

Skylinestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylinestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 11:16am
Originally posted by tjw tjw wrote:

When booting, I get "00" on the Dr. Debug indicator.
I guess it's similar to 0D or Zero Dee. I realized that after reading lots of forums, amazon & newegg user reviews.

Edited by Skylinestar - 05 Apr 2016 at 11:18am
- ASrock Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 (BIOS v2.10)
- Intel Core i5 6500 (stock)
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GBx2 (CMK8GX4M2A2666C16R) (2133 stock)
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD (CT128M4SSD2)
- Corsair GS700 PSU
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by tjw tjw wrote:

So a combination of, uh, user error and questionable board labeling/install documentation meant I didn't have the CPU power connected. Obviously been a while since I've done this... Embarrassed

If ASRock is listening, it would be great to have the 00 code also list CPU power as possible issue, have the ATX 12V Power Connector listed as CPU power, and label it on the board as CPU power. Right now that connector has a large label HDMI nearby, along with smaller text about 12V ATX, which helped me skip right over it the first time. Doesn't help that my CPU cooler lines cover it up, so I missed it when double-checking stuff.

Thanks for your great checklist -- hopefully this will save others some time too.

With everything reconnected, it failed to boot one more time (giving a code 99 -- PCI-E device issue), but on a reset it made it to the BIOS setup.

First, thank you for being honest and telling us what happened, that shows you are a man of integrity. Thumbs Up

You need not give an explanation why you overlooked that connection. We have seen that happen many times in this forum, you are certainly not the first person to do that, nor will you be the last.

I normally ask that question with an excuse... "... sorry but I must ask, did you connect the 12V ATX CPU power...), which I didn't do this time. I guess the calm tone of your post did not scare me enough to add my usual caveat. Embarrassed

While computer programs can do many things, they can't always "know" what is happening in every situation. If you did not put a CPU in the CPU socket, you would also see a "00" POST code.

The UEFI/BIOS chip is not a processor and is only able to perform a few very simple tasks. If the CPU is not getting power, what other device is there to execute a program to attempt to discover what is wrong? Fortunately the UEFI/BIOS chip uses power from the main 24 pin connector for its power. 

By the way, the 24 pin ATX connector has only TWO +12V pins/wires! The older 20 pin AXT connector had only ONE +12V pin/wire. Now that the processor's voltage regulators use +12V power, rather than +5V and +3.3V power as they did over a decade ago, the +12V ATX power connector was added as a standard.

Frankly, IMO that is a work around that while simple does not really address the main change in voltage rail usage by PC mother boards to +12V for the processor. We needed a new design for our PC power delivery system, but the industry was not willing to scrap the older design due to the legacy affect, as I call it. Abrupt changes that obsoletes existing hardware is never popular. Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic