ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's SS/DS/v/2pcs in Memory Support List?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Pochmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's SS/DS/v/2pcs in Memory Support List?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 10:53pm
I'm interested in this board:

What does SS/DS/v/2pcs mean?

I'm considering using two KVR21N15D8K2/32 kits (each kit has two 16GB sticks), which is listed with "2pcs". I guess it means "two pieces", but even if I'm right, it's unclear whether that's two sticks or two kits (i.e., four sticks).
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 1:28am
Here are the meanings and explanations:

SS = Single Sided (RAM chips on one side of the PCB)
DS = Double Sided (RAM chips on both sides of the PCB)
v = Verified (a single module was tested and verified as working)
2pcs = 2 Pieces (2 modules tested and verified for dual channel operation)

I hope that answers your question satisfactorily.
Stefan Pochmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Pochmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 2:08am
Thanks. But are you sure about "v"? I just noticed that for other boards (example), their page does define it and says "V = supports 2 modules and 4 modules". Not just one module.

And how likely is it that these work well?

- Two KVR21N15D8K2/32 kits (that's four 16GB modules). This kit is marked as "2pcs".

- Two HX421C14FBK2/32 kits (that's four 16GB modules). This kit is not in the list, but the HX421C14FBK2/16 kit (same, but 8GB modules) is listed and marked as "v".
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 5:43am
Ah I missed that, yes you are correct, 2pcs seems to indicate 2 kits (4 modules) and v simply means verified, either as single channel if in the single channel column or dual channel if in the dual channel column.

As for the 2 kits you are asking about I would say the Kingston kit you listed first should work without issue but the second is uncertain. Just because a lower capacity version of a kit is listed as supported does not mean the higher capacity one will be. In many cases the higher capacity kit may use different timings or higher voltage or even different memory chips. Even if an 8gb version is listed as supported there is no guarantee the 16gb version will be.  

That is not to say that just because a RAM kit isn't listed in the memory support list that it will not work. The memory support list is created at the time of product release and is very seldom actually updated. It is difficult for a motherboard manufacturer to procure and test every new memory module that hits the market. In contrast, it is very easy for a RAM manufacturer to have a collection of motherboards and test their own products on them. Generally speaking if RAM works on one ASRock Z170 motherboard, for example, it will most likely work on all of ASRock Z170 boards unless there is some drastic difference (like an ITX version may have different support). This means that most often the RAM's product page will have a more comprehensive list of supported motherboards than supported RAM modules on the motherboard's support list.

We have seen a lot of problems here on the forums with people trying to mix and match 2 dual kits. The Skylake platform seems to be very picky when it comes to using 4 RAM modules. All that said I would go with 2 of the Kingston KVR 32gb (2x16) kits as it would seem that it has been tested with the board in that configuration.
Stefan Pochmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Pochmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 6:59am
Actually I now think "2pcs" must mean two modules, not two kits. Because that other board's page lists for example the HX428C14PB2K4/16 with "2pcs", and that's a four module kit. And the board doesn't have eight slots. Also, Note3 says "For 2pcs (DS), please use A1 and B1 slot."

And I found Kingston's search for the board (the H170M Pro4). It lists both 2x16GB kits, and also lists a 4x16GB kit for the HyperX FURY but not for the ValueRAM. The latter simply doesn't seem to exist, though. The specs for HyperX FURY 8GB and 16GB modules look identical.

With all that data and your advice (thanks) I guess it's fairly safe that both will work fine.

And yeah, I'd get a single 4x16GB kit if I wanted that much now. But I just want 32GB now and have the option to maybe add another 32GB later.

Edited by Stefan Pochmann - 12 Apr 2016 at 7:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic