ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme7+ Shut Down Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
UTRockHound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UTRockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:57am
I was getting similar behavior but not on shutdown.  Mine was from using this RAM, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16.18.18.36 1.35v.  I switched to Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB DDR4 2400MHz with lower latency and it is stable.  I did not have the original RAM set in the XMP profile and am going to try it again.  I am currently OC to 4.7 stable with the 2400MHz RAM.  I'm pretty sure that the RAM is your problem but there are people here with much more experience than me who will hopefully chime in.  I bet if you go into the UEFI and set the XMP profile that you might get it to work.  I have read that you might need to OC somewhat to get things right.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:46am
One missing bit of important information... the OS and version you are using.

I'm guessing it is Windows 10?

I have the same mother board as you do, and I use G.SKILL memory running at 3200, and I can OC it to 3600. But I don't have the issue that you are experiencing.

Your symptoms are different than we usually see, with a system running on normally immediately after a shutdown. This has become an issue that I won't call common, but has been seen enough to be known to us. I'll mention a few things that could be the cause. Please read all of them before deciding what to do.

One cause of this is the Windows Fast Startup feature, introduced in Win 8.

If you'd like to try this, it can be disabled by first opening the Windows Power Options, normally used to choose or modify a Power Plan. On the upper left of this screen find and select the "Choose what the power buttons do" option.

You'll likely need to click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable before you can disable the Fast Startup option. Then uncheck this option under Shutdown settings. You'll need to shutdown normally (if possible) before this feature is disabled. You can enable it again by simply reversing the process.

The only time I had a similar issue is when I used a program to clone an OS installation from one drive to another. That was using Macrium Reflect, although I really do not know if it was the cause. The only fix I found was a new OS installation.

A simple potential fix is clearing the UEFI/BIOS. You could do a full clear by moving the jumper to the clear position, and removing the board's battery. Just removing the battery will not provide the same results as doing both. Don't forget to save your UEFI/BIOS settings in a profile before doing this, if it is difficult to reset them from your memory. One potential issue with a saved profile is...

A setting in the UEFI might be the cause. The Deep Sleep option in Chipset Configuration is best left at its default setting. Did you happen to change the Restore on AC/Power Loss option? Just curious as a potential cause of this issue in general.

Do you have the Intel network driver installed? Win 10 (if you use it) does not get along with the Intel networking driver in some ways, and still does after several releases. Disabling the various Wake on LAN options in Device Manager might help.

I suggest checking the wiring of the power button on the PC case to the system header on the board. While the polarity of this switch may seem irrelevant, I leave nothing to chance. Do you think the wiring and switch in the PC case is in good condition?
AMGala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 12:15am
I have been having a strange problem that I can't seem to diagnose and I haven't found any discussions or solutions online.  I recently built a new computer with the following components:

Mobo: Z170 Extreme 7+, BIOS v2.60
CPU: i7 6700K, no overclocking
RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000
GPU: MSI GeForce 550 GTX Ti (re-used from my last build)
HDD: 500 GB Samsung 850 M.2 SSD
PSU: Corsair HX850i
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

The system boots up fine, but my issue arises when I try to shut down the computer.  Windows shuts down properly, and it seems like the system turns off for a split second, but then the mobo powers back on showing a "00" Dr. Debug code and the fans all run.  It does not start the boot-up process.  Holding down the power button does nothing.  I have to flip the switch on my PSU to cut power and shut the system off, and then flip it again to turn the computer back on.

I initially thought my issue was with running my RAM at 3000 MHz (XMP) instead of 2133.  When I set the RAM to AUTO, which makes it run at 2133 MHz, Windows would shut down, I'd get the "00" Dr. Debug issue, but then after 10-15 seconds, I'd hear a beep and the system would fully shut down.  Weird behavior, but at least it would shut down.

Today, I installed a USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card.  Subsequently, even with my RAM running at 2133 MHz, the system will not fully turn off again.  I don't know what could now be causing the issue, or how to fix it.

Additionally, the sleep function works without issue.

I thought perhaps it was the dehumidifier function keeping the fans running after shut down, but I don't have that option in my BIOS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  If any additional computer specs would be helpful, please let me know.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by AMGala - 13 Apr 2016 at 12:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic