ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme7+ Shut Down Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme7+ Shut Down Problem
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 12:15am
I have been having a strange problem that I can't seem to diagnose and I haven't found any discussions or solutions online.  I recently built a new computer with the following components:

Mobo: Z170 Extreme 7+, BIOS v2.60
CPU: i7 6700K, no overclocking
RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Corsair LPX DDR4-3000
GPU: MSI GeForce 550 GTX Ti (re-used from my last build)
HDD: 500 GB Samsung 850 M.2 SSD
PSU: Corsair HX850i
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

The system boots up fine, but my issue arises when I try to shut down the computer.  Windows shuts down properly, and it seems like the system turns off for a split second, but then the mobo powers back on showing a "00" Dr. Debug code and the fans all run.  It does not start the boot-up process.  Holding down the power button does nothing.  I have to flip the switch on my PSU to cut power and shut the system off, and then flip it again to turn the computer back on.

I initially thought my issue was with running my RAM at 3000 MHz (XMP) instead of 2133.  When I set the RAM to AUTO, which makes it run at 2133 MHz, Windows would shut down, I'd get the "00" Dr. Debug issue, but then after 10-15 seconds, I'd hear a beep and the system would fully shut down.  Weird behavior, but at least it would shut down.

Today, I installed a USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card.  Subsequently, even with my RAM running at 2133 MHz, the system will not fully turn off again.  I don't know what could now be causing the issue, or how to fix it.

Additionally, the sleep function works without issue.

I thought perhaps it was the dehumidifier function keeping the fans running after shut down, but I don't have that option in my BIOS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  If any additional computer specs would be helpful, please let me know.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by AMGala - 13 Apr 2016 at 12:33am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:46am
One missing bit of important information... the OS and version you are using.

I'm guessing it is Windows 10?

I have the same mother board as you do, and I use G.SKILL memory running at 3200, and I can OC it to 3600. But I don't have the issue that you are experiencing.

Your symptoms are different than we usually see, with a system running on normally immediately after a shutdown. This has become an issue that I won't call common, but has been seen enough to be known to us. I'll mention a few things that could be the cause. Please read all of them before deciding what to do.

One cause of this is the Windows Fast Startup feature, introduced in Win 8.

If you'd like to try this, it can be disabled by first opening the Windows Power Options, normally used to choose or modify a Power Plan. On the upper left of this screen find and select the "Choose what the power buttons do" option.

You'll likely need to click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable before you can disable the Fast Startup option. Then uncheck this option under Shutdown settings. You'll need to shutdown normally (if possible) before this feature is disabled. You can enable it again by simply reversing the process.

The only time I had a similar issue is when I used a program to clone an OS installation from one drive to another. That was using Macrium Reflect, although I really do not know if it was the cause. The only fix I found was a new OS installation.

A simple potential fix is clearing the UEFI/BIOS. You could do a full clear by moving the jumper to the clear position, and removing the board's battery. Just removing the battery will not provide the same results as doing both. Don't forget to save your UEFI/BIOS settings in a profile before doing this, if it is difficult to reset them from your memory. One potential issue with a saved profile is...

A setting in the UEFI might be the cause. The Deep Sleep option in Chipset Configuration is best left at its default setting. Did you happen to change the Restore on AC/Power Loss option? Just curious as a potential cause of this issue in general.

Do you have the Intel network driver installed? Win 10 (if you use it) does not get along with the Intel networking driver in some ways, and still does after several releases. Disabling the various Wake on LAN options in Device Manager might help.

I suggest checking the wiring of the power button on the PC case to the system header on the board. While the polarity of this switch may seem irrelevant, I leave nothing to chance. Do you think the wiring and switch in the PC case is in good condition?
UTRockHound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UTRockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:57am
I was getting similar behavior but not on shutdown.  Mine was from using this RAM, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16.18.18.36 1.35v.  I switched to Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB DDR4 2400MHz with lower latency and it is stable.  I did not have the original RAM set in the XMP profile and am going to try it again.  I am currently OC to 4.7 stable with the 2400MHz RAM.  I'm pretty sure that the RAM is your problem but there are people here with much more experience than me who will hopefully chime in.  I bet if you go into the UEFI and set the XMP profile that you might get it to work.  I have read that you might need to OC somewhat to get things right.
AMGala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:25am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I have the same mother board as you do, and I use G.SKILL memory running at 3200, and I can OC it to 3600. But I don't have the issue that you are experiencing.

Your symptoms are different than we usually see, with a system running on normally immediately after a shutdown. This has become an issue that I won't call common, but has been seen enough to be known to us. I'll mention a few things that could be the cause. Please read all of them before deciding what to do.

One cause of this is the Windows Fast Startup feature, introduced in Win 8. 

If you'd like to try this, it can be disabled by first opening the Windows Power Options, normally used to choose or modify a Power Plan. On the upper left of this screen find and select the "Choose what the power buttons do" option.

You'll likely need to click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable before you can disable the Fast Startup option. Then uncheck this option under Shutdown settings. You'll need to shutdown normally (if possible) before this feature is disabled. You can enable it again by simply reversing the process.

The only time I had a similar issue is when I used a program to clone an OS installation from one drive to another. That was using Macrium Reflect, although I really do not know if it was the cause. The only fix I found was a new OS installation.

A simple potential fix is clearing the UEFI/BIOS. You could do a full clear by moving the jumper to the clear position, and removing the board's battery. Just removing the battery will not provide the same results as doing both. Don't forget to save your UEFI/BIOS settings in a profile before doing this, if it is difficult to reset them from your memory. One potential issue with a saved profile is...

A setting in the UEFI might be the cause. The Deep Sleep option in Chipset Configuration is best left at its default setting. Did you happen to change the Restore on AC/Power Loss option? Just curious as a potential cause of this issue in general.

Do you have the Intel network driver installed? Win 10 (if you use it) does not get along with the Intel networking driver in some ways, and still does after several releases. Disabling the various Wake on LAN options in Device Manager might help.

I suggest checking the wiring of the power button on the PC case to the system header on the board. While the polarity of this switch may seem irrelevant, I leave nothing to chance. Do you think the wiring and switch in the PC case is in good condition?
Thank you for your reply.  I am running Win10 Enterprise public (not insider), fully updated.  I did a fresh install via DVD using an external DVD drive.
I did see the thread on Fast Startup causing issues.  I do not have Hibernate enabled, and therefore I don't have any option to enable/disable Fast Startup.

I do have the Intel network driver installed.  I'll disable WOL and see if it solves the problem before tackling the BIOS suggestions.

I'll also double check the power switch polarity, but it is otherwise functioning correctly to power up the system and also to wake the system from sleep.  I am using a brand new case, but of course manufacturing defects can and do happen.

I'll report back soon.

Edited by AMGala - 13 Apr 2016 at 10:45pm
AMGala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:31am
Originally posted by UTRockHound UTRockHound wrote:

I was getting similar behavior but not on shutdown.  Mine was from using this RAM, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16.18.18.36 1.35v.  I switched to Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB DDR4 2400MHz with lower latency and it is stable.  I did not have the original RAM set in the XMP profile and am going to try it again.  I am currently OC to 4.7 stable with the 2400MHz RAM.  I'm pretty sure that the RAM is your problem but there are people here with much more experience than me who will hopefully chime in.  I bet if you go into the UEFI and set the XMP profile that you might get it to work.  I have read that you might need to OC somewhat to get things right.
Thank you for your feedback.  I have consistently experienced this issue with the XMP profile enabled.  For the short time that the system was (nearly) working as expected, I had the XMP profile disabled.  I'll try the other suggested fixes first, but based on your experience and some others I have read, I may have to exchange the RAM for a different set as you suggest.

Edited by AMGala - 13 Apr 2016 at 10:46pm
AMGala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 5:36am
Originally posted by AMGala AMGala wrote:

One cause of this is the Windows Fast Startup feature, introduced in Win 8. 

If you'd like to try this, it can be disabled by first opening the Windows Power Options, normally used to choose or modify a Power Plan. On the upper left of this screen find and select the "Choose what the power buttons do" option.

A setting in the UEFI might be the cause. The Deep Sleep option in Chipset Configuration is best left at its default setting. Did you happen to change the Restore on AC/Power Loss option? Just curious as a potential cause of this issue in general.

Thank you for your reply.  I am running Win10 Enterprise public (not insider), fully updated.  I did a fresh install via DVD using an external DVD drive.
I did see the thread on Fast Startup causing issues.  I do not have Hibernate enabled, and therefore I don't have any option to enable/disable Fast Startup.

I do have the Intel network driver installed.  I'll disable WOL and see if it solves the problem before tackling the BIOS suggestions.

I'll also double check the power switch polarity, but it is otherwise functioning correctly to power up the system and also to wake the system from sleep.  I am using a brand new case, but of course manufacturing defects can and do happen.

I'll report back soon.

Update:

1) I first tried disabling WOL for both ethernet ports and...the system seemingly shut down properly!  Success!  That is, until I tried turning the system on and off again to confirm it was fixed, and it reverted back to the original issue.

2) I then checked the power switch wire, which looked to be installed correctly.  But just to be sure, I removed the power switch wire from the mobo header and re-installed it after flipping it 180 degrees.  I still faced the issue.  Also, the issue occurred both when shutting down the system by pressing the power button, as well as when initiating shut down from the Windows menu, so perhaps this alone would rule out the power switch?  In any case, it didn't seem to be the cause of the issue.

3) I then tried to reset the CMOS by moving the jumper and removing the battery, as you suggested.  Upon rebooting the system (after installing the battery and moving the jumper back), the system started to post but got stuck when it showed "62" on Dr. Debug.

I then reset the CMOS using the reset button, and it loaded to the BIOS screen to enter the date & time.  After doing this, I booted the system without changing any other BIOS settings.  I then initiated shut down, which it completed after the brief time with the "00" code.

I then re-loaded the BIOS and tried to run the system with the XMP profile enabled.  It again got stuck with the "00" code and would not shut down.

4) Thinking that this probably meant a RAM issue, I then tried to move the DIMMs from A2-B2 to A1-B1.  I still faced the issue when trying to run the XMP profile.

5) I then decided to see what would happen if I ran a single stick of RAM at both stock speed and XMP speed.  When I removed the DIMM from B1 and ran only A1, my system would not complete the post process and I never got to the BIOS boot screen. AH HA!

I then swapped that DIMM with the other and the system booted fine.  I restarted and enabled the XMP profile, booted into Windows, and initiated shut down.  It was able to turn off completely (again after the short stall with "00")!  I tried to reproduce this, except by pressing the power button to initiate shut down instead of the windows menu.  It again shut down completely after the brief stall.

I reinstalled the second DIMM back into B1 and tried the same process.  It shut down completely when running the RAM at stock speeds, but again produced the issue when running XMP.  I am currently using the system with both DIMMS installed running at 2133 MHz.

Based on this, I think that the one DIMM is malfunctioning, which is causing my issue.  I plan to exchange it and try again.

Would you agree that it is most likely the RAM stick?  If not, do you have any other suggestions?

For what it's worth, I took a video of my computer turning on, getting to the windows log-in screen, and then me initiating shut down by pressing the power button.  You can see how the system briefly gets stuck with the "00" code before beeping and shutting off:

Edited by AMGala - 14 Apr 2016 at 5:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 10:57pm
The 00 Dr Debug code is just the first test that occurs in the POST process, a test of the CPU. If the CPU was broken or one was not inserted in the board, the resulting code displayed would be 00.

In your case, the 00 code shown during shutdown is not related to anything besides the display being on (for some reason), and the first code is shown while the display is waiting for the POST process to begin. Whatever controls this display cannot know if the PC is shutting down or restarting, so the first code is displayed, 00. At least that is my analysis of how and why this display is acting. I do not believe it has any significance.

I don't understand what you mean about being unable to disable the Windows Fast startup feature because Hibernate is not enabled. For example, this is my configuration of that screen on another PC:

You must click Change settings that are currently unavailable, but it can be done. Is this option still enabled?

Your memory causing the inability to shutdown seems really strange, but there is so much going on behind the scenes with PCs, I would never say nothing is impossible with PCs. Confused

Speaking of your memory, is this it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863

If so, the XMP profile may be optimized for X99 systems, rather than Z170. That means manual setting of the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages might be required.

Unless your memory is a double sided (DS) design, when using two DIMMs you should use the A2 and B2 slots.

AMGala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:24am

The 00 Dr Debug code is just the first test that occurs in the POST process, a test of the CPU. If the CPU was broken or one was not inserted in the board, the resulting code displayed would be 00.

In your case, the 00 code shown during shutdown is not related to anything besides the display being on (for some reason), and the first code is shown while the display is waiting for the POST process to begin. Whatever controls this display cannot know if the PC is shutting down or restarting, so the first code is displayed, 00. At least that is my analysis of how and why this display is acting. I do not believe it has any significance.

I don't understand what you mean about being unable to disable the Windows Fast startup feature because Hibernate is not enabled. For example, this is my configuration of that screen on another PC:

You must click Change settings that are currently unavailable, but it can be done. Is this option still enabled?

Your memory causing the inability to shutdown seems really strange, but there is so much going on behind the scenes with PCs, I would never say nothing is impossible with PCs. Confused

Speaking of your memory, is this it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863

If so, the XMP profile may be optimized for X99 systems, rather than Z170. That means manual setting of the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages might be required.

Unless your memory is a double sided (DS) design, when using two DIMMs you should use the A2 and B2 slots.

Thank you, parsec.  When you shut your computer off, does it just instantly turn off without displaying any Dr. Debug code?  One other thing I noticed after re-watching the video I posted of my computer shutting down is that before displaying the "00" code, it briefly displays a code of "05" which is for "OEM initialization prior to microcode loading".  Doing a separate search on that yields a lot of posts across the web of people who have faced this issue, and they usually face the issue of the computer not shutting off and keeping the fans running.  Some people were able to fix their issue by clearing CMOS, and others were not able to fix it at all after trying multiple things and eventually had to RMA the motherboard.

With regards to Fast Startup, I'll post a screenshot of my options once I get back my replacement RAM and can boot the computer.

The memory that you linked is what I have, except in black - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233852.  I see where you saw that the XMP profile may be optimized for X99 and not Z170, but I think that product description just hasn't been updated on Newegg because I searched for the same RAM set on Corsair's site and it says that it should work with both X99 and 100 series chipsets (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15):

Quote Compatibility tested across X99 and 100 Series motherboards for reliably fast performance

Part of our exhaustive testing process includes performance and compatibility testing on most every X99 and 100 Series motherboard on the market, and a few that aren't.

XMP 2.0 support for trouble-free, automatic overclocking

Manually pushing your DRAM frequency can be a fun experiment, but sometimes you just want to get maximum performance without the hassle.

Intel X99 and 100 Series-based motherboards support the new XMP 2.0 standard, and Vengeance LPX DRAM does, too. Turn it on, and it will automatically adjust to the fastest safe speed for your Vengeance LPX kit. You?�ll get amazing, reliable performance without lockups or other strange behavior.

When I get my new RAM, I'll make sure to install them in A2 & B2 and post my findings.

One separate question, does your BIOS have the option/setting for the dehumidifier function?

Edited by AMGala - 23 Apr 2016 at 2:27am
AMGala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 5:31am
I finally received and installed my new RAM and...problem solved!  I have installed them in A2/B2 and I'm able to run them with the XMP profile enabled without any issues.  My system now shuts down as I would expect.  It quickly shows a "05" and then "00" on Dr. Debug for a split second each and then shuts down.

Thank you again for your troubleshooting suggestions.

Some pending questions/topics:

1) When you shut your computer off, does it just instantly turn off without displaying any Dr. Debug code?

2) Does your BIOS have the option/setting for the dehumidifier function?

3) Regarding Fast Startup - My OS HDD is a Samsung SSD.  The Samsung Magician software allows me to disable the hibernate function, which helps increase SSD longevity because it prevents writing the large hibernate file onto the drive.  As stated here - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html - Fast Startup requires that hibernate be enabled to function.  Since I have disabled hibernate, Fast Startup (as well as Hibernate) are no longer options in my power settings:

I hope that explains it!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 12:46pm
Great, great, great, sooo glad you figured this out! Thumbs Up

DDR4 memory is becoming a nightmare, the crazy problems it seems to cause! I have never heard of such things with DDR3 memory. I still think Win 10 is related to this somehow, but hardware (DDR4) is a contributing factor.

About the Dr. Debug codes... let's remember what those are. They are POST codes, Power On Self Test, a set of hardware verification tests that ONLY occurs when a PC starts after a shutdown or restart, before the OS booting process begins. Each test that occurs during POST has a corresponding code. That code is displayed on the Dr. Debug display while it is running.

The codes are NOT error codes in the usual sense. The appearance of a POST code does NOT indicate a problem UNLESS a POST sub-process/test fails, then the code for that sub-process/test remains displayed to give us a clue about what failed. POST then stops, and the PC will not attempt to boot since POST did not complete successfully. A POST code displayed under any other circumstance is an undefined situation.

Seeing a POST code, and then another, and another, etc, only means the POST sub-process identified by each code completed successfully, and moved on to the next. The codes do not indicate that a POST process failed every time we see one, or that some type of error occurred.

When the non-shutdown, no POST or OS boot situation you had occurs, the PC never went through the POST process, or the boot process, right? It never shutdown, and just goes right back to a booted OS desktop.

Therefore I cannot take anything shown on the Dr. Debug display seriously in the non-shutdown, no POST or OS boot, back to the desktop situation. Code 00 is a CPU failure of some kind. If the CPU failed, how can the OS be running? That code happens to correspond to the first test done by POST, so the display might simply have it ready for a POST process to occur.

How the Dr. Debug display functions during a non POST process situation, I don't understand. But as long as the POST process is not happening, anything displayed on Dr. Debug when the POST process is clearly not happening is meaningless. Plus the OS kept running, so nothing went wrong besides the shutdown failure, which is not related to POST at all.

I don't know what is shown on the Dr. Debug display on my PC when it shuts down. Frankly I'm not watching it, since there is no reason to do so. Since POST was not happening, and my PC shutdown correctly, any spurious, random POST codes that appear on the display are meaningless.

If you go into the UEFI/BIOS, what do you see on the display? A4, A6, or Ax? Those are the last POST codes displayed

Yes, my board has the Dehumidifier function, which I don't use, and is disabled. It's in the Tools screen.

I see what happened to your Hibernate option now, you removed it via non-conventional means (meaning outside of normal Windows operations) with the Samsung Magician software. That seems to do a Windows Registry edit that causes the option to be completely removed.

While both Hibernate and Fast Startup depend upon a file written to the OS drive to work, the Fast Startup file is smaller and different than the Hibernate file. The only time a Hibernate file is created is if you specifically select Hibernate instead of Sleep or Shutdown.

I'm long past the "wear out the SSD with too many writes" paranoia, and don't bother to do any of those kind of SSD write reduction tweaks anymore. If a drive of any kind can't be used without babying it, it's not worth using. The irony of "knowing" when NAND memory will wear out (any SSD ever endurance tested surpassed its NAND specs and Total Bytes Written specs by such a large margin it was amazing) created the concern for its lifetime. Meanwhile HDDs never provide a specification similar to NAND for the magnetic media it uses. So while HDD media lifetime is unknown, we worry about SSD NAND lifetime? Confused

The Magician software and its various options for configuring the SSD environment are kinda funny, some of them contradict what the others say. Each option plays to the audience that chose it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic