ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

When should you update bios?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When should you update bios?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 5:59pm
When should you update bios, every time a new release is offered, or only if you're having issues with something?

I currently have an X99m Extreme4 and running a special BIOS P2.00A provided to me from Asrock so I can set ATA passwords on SSDs (I flashed both bios on my mobo to this P2.00A ) - so I do not want to lose this ability by upgrading to a newer version of bios unless it's absolutely necessary.

Everything is running fine, I haven't had a chance to try out the ATA password feature, but have faith it will work as it should.

Thanks.

Edited by thegreywizard - 13 Apr 2016 at 6:00pm
dkeone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkeone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 8:15pm
from my experience with asrock, never update bios.
thegreywizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 8:48pm
lol I take it you've had issues in the past trying to do so & it bricked your mobo or something?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 9:30pm
The general rule with BIOS updates (with any manufacturer) is only do it if:

1. Your system is buggy in some way that has been discovered to be BIOS related.
2. You are upgrading your CPU or RAM and your current BIOS does not support the model you have purchased.

Basically if your system is working as it should then you don't need a BIOS update.
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The general rule with BIOS updates (with any manufacturer) is only do it if:

1. Your system is buggy in some way that has been discovered to be BIOS related.
2. You are upgrading your CPU or RAM and your current BIOS does not support the model you have purchased.

Basically if your system is working as it should then you don't need a BIOS update.

3. When a new OS or feature is added to Your motherboard, and no old features were taken away.

If Your System runs fine, do not update Your BIOS/UEFI without making a backup copy of Your current BIOS/UEFI.
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 4:37pm
Good addition ASRock Expert.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by thegreywizard thegreywizard wrote:

When should you update bios, every time a new release is offered, or only if you're having issues with something?

I currently have an X99m Extreme4 and running a special BIOS P2.00A provided to me from Asrock so I can set ATA passwords on SSDs (I flashed both bios on my mobo to this P2.00A ) - so I do not want to lose this ability by upgrading to a newer version of bios unless it's absolutely necessary.

Everything is running fine, I haven't had a chance to try out the ATA password feature, but have faith it will work as it should.

Thanks.

In your case, unless you plan on changing to a Broadwell-E HEDT processor, there is no point in updating to the new 3.00 UEFI version. You would lose the ability to set passwords on your drives... that you aren't using... Confused

Personally, I always update to the latest UEFI version on my ASRock boards, if only as a test to insure they are working correctly. You can always change back to an earlier version, EXCEPT in a few special cases for some boards. If you cannot determine if that is the situation with your board, ask about it please! Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic