ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 990FX extreme MB flashing reset and power switches
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

990FX extreme MB flashing reset and power switches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenbottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 990FX extreme MB flashing reset and power switches
    Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 11:54am

I have a 990FX extreme4

When I turned on the external power to the PSU the reset switch and the power switch started flashing. Unable to turn PC on with switch on case.

I tried pressing each of the reset switch and power switch but no change.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to problem.

thanks
greenbottle

NOTE: incorrectly posted on intel MB
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:40pm
We need a bit more info. I am going to assume this is a PC that has been working
previously for some time? Have you made any changes to the system or transported
it recently? How long has it been since you replaced the PSU last?

If you transported the PC recently then try going over it and disconnect/reconnect
everything on the motherboard, power cables, SATA, reseat GPU.
greenbottle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenbottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 6:40pm
Hi Xaltar, thanks for getting back to me.
PC was working last week; don't use it all the time as I have another one I mainly use.
Not certain how old system is - system consists of:
PSU: Antec nanopower 650; probably at least 5 years old.
Graphics card: ASUS en9500GT/DI/1G/A
CPU: would be AMD athlon - but not certain which one.
RAM: 24GB DDR3 (3x8 [1 8Gb Corsair [Vengence CMZ16GX3M2A 1600c10b];
               Corsair [2x8GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9B]
A number of HHD plus one 500Gb NVMe SSD with OS installed (probably about 12 months ago). Running Win 7.

PC has been sitting in study, but will give everything a good dust and reset components.

Hope this helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenbottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 1:38pm
Update.
1. disconnected the power connectors to the MB and then reseated them, together with graphics card - no change.

2. swapped the PSU for a more recent one: coolermaster 750W gold. On initial switching on power to PSU and then from esternal power switch on case, both the reset switch and power switch on MB flashed slowly and one of the fans tried to turn about 1/4 turn. turned off the power, checked the seating of the cables and turned back on the power -- and nothing at all.

Any suggestions ???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenbottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 6:21pm
Also noticed that the Clear CMOS button on I/O panel is also flashing.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 10:46pm
Try a full CMOS clear (disconnect power from wall, pull CMOS battery, clear CMOS
and let the system sit with the battery out for 20mins or so).

If that doesn't work it's time to strip the system down and put it back together
starting with critical components only.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenbottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 4:51pm
Thanks Xaltar. Will see how I go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic