ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z690M PG4 - Drives disappearing after some time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z690M PG4 - Drives disappearing after some time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NickLandis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickLandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z690M PG4 - Drives disappearing after some time
    Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:07pm
Someone on the unRAID forums suggested I try swapping the ports with the two ADATA drives to try and narrow down if the ports are the problem. Interestingly enough when I did that it was still the Samsung Drives that went missing.
NickLandis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickLandis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 3:49am
Hi all,

I use an ASRock Z690M Phantom Gaming 4 as the MB in my unRAID system. Full specs at the end. TL;DR is that drives plugged into SATA3_0, SATA3_1. & M.2_2 have started to spontaneously disappear and are not recognized by the MB again until the system is completely shut down and powered back up.

Important to note that I have a cache pool consisting of two SSDs in RAID1. 4 days ago I received a notification that one of the drives in my cache pool has gone missing. It was a Western Digital PCIE gen 3 nvme drive installed in the 2nd m.2 slot of my MB. I did not have anything installed on the SATA port that is shared with m.2 slot (SATA3_0). I assumed that the drive had just failed and pulled it from the system and went to order a replacement. I ended up deciding to replace both cache drives with two Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSDs. I installed these drives into SATA3_0 & SATA3_1 slots. I still did not have anything in the second M.2 slot.

The next day I get another notification that the drive has gone missing. Through some troubleshooting I have determined that the drives will disappear, and will not re-appear until the system is shut down. Rebooting the system via the OS does not cause the drives to re-appear.

Also important to note: I have two other SSDs plugged into SATA3_2 & SATA3_3 that have not disappeared at all. Also my MB was running BIOS V3.01, but I did upgrade it to V7.02 during troubleshooting and it made no difference.

I have a feeling there may be an issue with the chipset, but I'm not sure why it would effect M.2_2, SATA3_0, & SATA3_1 only.

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock Z690M Phantom Gaming 4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
    x2 ADATA SU630 480 GB 2.5" SSD in RAID1 used for docker containers and VM Drives - plugged into SATA3_2 & SATA3_3
    x1 WD Black SN750 1 TB NVME SSD - 1 of the NVMEs used in the original Cache Pool - Installed in M.2_1
    x1 WD Green 960 GB NVME SSD - The other NVME that was the first drive to go missing - Previously installed in M.2_2, now uninstalled
    x8 Various 3.5" HDDs for mass storage - No issues with any of these drives - Installed via LSI Card flashed into IT mode
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic