ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reboot loop with EP2C602-4L/D16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reboot loop with EP2C602-4L/D16
    Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 7:00pm
I've had this problem for a number of years now and it's still as annoying now as it was originally!

Not sure when or why this happened, but the EP2C602-4L/D16 server motherboard I have will go into a hardware boot loop and not escape from it (almost). If I completely power down I can occasionally get it to reboot, but it's very patchy and any sort of reboot for updates, etc. will result in the hardware boot loop occurring again. I've tried removing all the PCI-E cards, and almost all the memory apart from what's required for the 2xE5-2660 CPUs I'm running, no HDDs, no USB connections, nothing apart from power - just to see if I would at least boot to the BIOS: same problem. If I can get it to boot then as it's a server I can leave it running, but heaven help me if I need to reboot for some reason - this can result in days of down-time!

Dr Debug repeats on a loop when it does it:

Power on,
0x06
0x10
0x19
0xAF
0x60
0x61
0xAF
then powers down itself.

it will then repeat the above by powering back on itself.

Occasionally it will get through this and do a few more Dr Debug codes then get to 0x79 and switch off completely. This is clearly some form of hardware problem with the motherboard (or at worst the CPUs, although it will boot very occasionally and the CPUs seem fine) because it's not even booting to an OS and it will do this with virtually no hardware attached, so I'm wondering if this is a BMC or BIOS issue: I'm running with the latest 1.90 BMC and 1.90 BIOS, although if I roll back to 1.80 or 1.70 it makes no difference.

If anyone can shed any light on what might be going on it would be much appreciated (even if this is just a "dead" motherboard)!
oldroper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldroper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 8:10pm
Apologise, I posted the wrong Dr Debug sequence. It's actually:

Power on,
0x06
0x10
0x19
0xAF
0xB0
0xB1
0xAF
then powers down itself (and then repeats)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 3:22am
I would try ASRock tech support:

http://event.asrock.tsd.com/

You won't find many people familiar with server boards here on the forums I'm afraid.
I personally have never worked with ASRock's server boards, when I used to build
servers we used Supermicro boards more or less exclusively and that was a good
number of years ago now.

ASRock's Tech Support staff should be able to point you in the right direction.

As more basic troubleshooting step I always used to start with pulling the CPUs and
cleaning/reseating them. Particularly in multi socket boards a poor connection
can cause all kinds of gremlins.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic