ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can install W10, but Ubuntu no problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Appie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can install W10, but Ubuntu no problem
    Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:55pm
I've a clean new-built system. If I try to install W10 from USB I get a black screen; installer doesn't even start. Ubuntu installs fine using the same system.
Can it be the MoBo? Does W10 calls on different resources than Ubuntu?
I have ASrock B550M-HDV with Ryzen5 5600G (integrated graphics).
Any help/suggestions appreciated - I'm running out of ideas.....
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:34pm
When you let the Media creation tool from Miocrosoft create a USB stick with Windows 10 on it, and you go into the bootmenu, sometimes you see the the USB device twice in the list.
As USB device (Windows will be installed in MBR Mode)
And as UEFI device (Windows will be installed in UEFI, GPT Mode) especially when you later want to upgrade to Windows 11, you MUST have installed Win10 in GPT mode.
When you boot from the USB stick, it should start with the language and keyboard layout
At this point press Shift-F10, to open a command prompt
You need to wipe all partitions and partitioning from the media, you want to install Windows onto, and need 3 commands
diskpart, should start the partitioning tool
List disk {shows the device ID's, usually the boot device is ID 0}
select disk, followed by the ID {select disk 0}
With the arrow up key you can scroll through the commands, and another list disk, will show a star in front of the selected drive.
Clean {wipes the selected device, and another list disk shows, size and free space are identical.
Now the device is ready to install windows.
Exit diskpart, by typing exit, and exit the command prompt with exit, and you will end up in the Windows setup, where you left off.
Let Windows create the partitions, if you want separate partition, you can lter schrink it in Diskmanagement,
Please share your findings on the forum, for others
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic