ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock x370 killer sli/ac BIOS update to support 5
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x370 killer sli/ac BIOS update to support 5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeblequix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock x370 killer sli/ac BIOS update to support 5
    Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 10:03pm
Hello,

My stepdaughter currently has an Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC with a 1600x (Summit Ridge). I'd like to upgrade it to a 5600x. Yesterday I updated the BIOS from 4.60 or 4.80 (can't remember) to 7.00 to 7.10. It booted fine with the 1600x. When I swapped in the 5600x the PC will power up, not POST, then reboots and repeats the no POST/rebooting. Begrudgingly I put the 1600x back in and it's working fine (using it right now). But I still want the 5600x installed.

Here's the link to their BIOS support page --
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370%20Killer%20SLIac/index.us.asp#BIOS

I don't understand their instructions very well. Did I do something wrong when I went from 4.x0 to 7.00 to 7.10? There's a whole bunch of BIOSes that they said to skip if I'm using a Summit Ridge which I am using until I can get the platform to work with the Vermeer. Looking closer at their list I'm wondering if I missed an important piece. Should I have gone to 5.10 to 5.30 to 5.40 to 7.00 to 7.10, or some other combination? Has anyone had any success in getting a 5600x on this board? Considering the BIOS order updates is this board still even capable of upgrading? I appreciate your insight. Thanks.
Kirurgs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirurgs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 6:32am

Hi,

I had similar issue with x370 Gaming K4. I had 1700 in it, upgraded to 7.0 (bridge) + 7.03, when I put in 5600x I had black screen, no boot, no nothing, debug code F3 (if I remember this correctly). I tried everything, even pulled out BIOS battery, nothing helped at all. This was the first time I had this issue.

The other time - literary 10 minutes ago, I just upgraded BIOS from 7.03 to 7.10 and the same boot loop, black screen, no nothing.

So I just spent like an hour trying to remember what to do and finally I figured it out.
So when trying to boot as usual RAM in A2/B2, it won't boot, debug code F3 which seems to be CPU related (not installed correctly?), although this combination worked literary 5 minutes before BIOS update.

So after multiple attempts to do various things this worked: pull out one RAM module and leave only one in, go to BIOS, load BIOS defaults, save this change, boot - it will boot fine, then go back to BIOS, load RAM profile (I had one for 3200) save this change, let it boot, shut down, install other module and viola, it works.

Why this is needed, IDK, it's so strange... but it worked.

Hope this helps.
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
MB: Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 (BIOS 7.03)
RAM: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, works with 3200 by default on 7.03 bios (previously I could not go higher than 2933)
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 8:27pm
If you are still not booting ...

Power off the PC. Try removing all memory sticks except one. This would be the second slot from the CPU. Power on again. See if it boots. I had similar issues with memory related boot loops.

If it boots, enter the BIOS and set the XMP for the memory. Not sure if you are experienced with this. When set, save, reboot, and eventually shut down the machine. Add a second stick in the fourth slot out from the CPU. Restart again.

IF you have four memory sticks originally, you may not be able to reinstall all four sticks again. You can try, but it may put you back in the boot loop issue. If it does, just start at the top again.

My system continues to behave like this whenever the "default" BIOS 2133Mhz memory speed is set with 2 or more sticks in the system. Not sure why. It just will not work that way. Should be a "safe" memory speed for any DDR4 memory. It only boots with one stick.

I hope that helps!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic