ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Secure Backup UEFI (B->A) not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenderaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secure Backup UEFI (B->A) not working
    Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:30pm
My A copy of the bios has been corrupted so I am trying to do the B->A copy function. I switched to B bios, selected the B->A copy within the UEFI tools menu, but nothing happens. The 'do not power off during uefi update' message appears with 0% showing and just sits there. It has been 30 minutes and nothing has changed.
What am I doing wrong?
The LEB message on the board is either A2 or R2. 
thenderaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenderaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:41pm
Ok, I am back in business. I shutdown the 'hung' B->A copy (turned off the computer), switched back to bios A, did a CMOS reset, was able to reboot as normal again. Not sure what the original problem was (why BIOS A acted corrupt), but I do know this backup bios thing does not work for me.

Has anyone in the ASrock world ever done a successful (B->A) copy to restore a bad A bios?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm
I have done a Secure Backup UEFI, B to A, in the past on my Z97 Extreme6 board. It worked fine.

I have not done this procedure on all my ASRock boards that have this feature, and have not done it for a while. The procedure is:

Shutdown PC, and remove power.
Set the UEFI/BIOS select switch to the 'B' position.
Apply power and start the PC. Let it boot into the OS.
Restart the PC into the UEFI/BIOS.
Start the Secure Backup UEFI feature, and allow it to complete.
Restart the PC as prompted after Secure Backup UEFI is complete.
Allow the PC to boot into the OS.
Shutdown the PC, remove power.
Set the UEFI/BIOS select switch to the 'A' position.
Apply power and start the PC. Let it boot in the OS.
Done.

What board are you using?
thenderaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenderaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:38pm
Hi, thanks for the reply

This is on a

Fatal1ty X99X Killer

I am still debugging the original problem of why BIOS acted corrupt (could not boot the computer to any point in the boot process, no codes even displayed on the MB LEDs, just dead!

But the process I tried to do the (B->A) was:
shutdown
flip the switch bios selector on the MB to b (I did not remove power)
Successfully was able to boot into the OS.
restarted the system, hit F2 to enter the bios.
Went to the tools menu, selected the (B-A) copy function.
It was at this point the thing just sat and did nothing. 
koharmon25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koharmon25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 3:51am
I had this same problem today. Would like to know what to do. My A BIOS is messed up, I am running on B BIOS. Trying to do secure copy from B - A and it freezes... like forever. (Hours)

does nothing and no progress. If you interupt it acts like B BIOS is dead too. I had to clear CMOS and remove CMOS battery to get it to come back to life, but was sort of scary. I want to flash my BIOS but not feeling very safe about it.

This is on x99M killer
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 9:49am
Back to your opening post.

A2 is the BIOS handing off to the OS.

The ASRock boards I've used, many, this A2 should disappear after the OS begins loading. If A2 remains after the OS loads then that's indicating an issue with a power/data cable and or HDD/SSD the OS is installed on. Or possibly the OS itself.

If you would please, list out the components that are currently connected when this occurs, and include the Make and Model of PSU and its age.

Edited by wardog - 28 Jan 2017 at 9:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic