ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

beta BIOS to production£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beta BIOS to production£
    Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 12:56pm

How long before a BIOS moves from beta to production?
https://asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/index.us.asp#BIOS
ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:29pm
Some Beta BIOS, have a specific purpose, and will stay Beta.
But that doesn't mean a Beta BIOS is not as good as a production BIOS, maybe that is what people think, but that is not true.
In some cases a Beta BIOS is created, when AMD or Intel decide to make certain changes, of bugfixes.
The resize bar is added later, Intel calls it Clever Access Memory, this function is added later, to some boards.
For example, when the new Vermeer was not intended to be introduced on a platform, but a Beta BIOS includes an Agesa code, that also allows other CPU releases, it will stay a Beta as far as I know.
And while we are at it, updating a BIOS when the system is running fine, is never a good move, golden rule, when it works, don't change it.
Newer is not automatically better, the same as the hunt for the newest agesa code.
Your system, will not suddenly have miracle functions it didn;t have before.
Kind Regards
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:28am
>updating a BIOS when the system is running fine, is never a good move, golden rule, when it works, don't change it.

I had been using a BIOS from 2019 because it said not to update it if I had a specific CPU.
I upgraded the CPU and I had to update the BIOS to support it to a 2021 version.
The boot process is much more streamlined.
Faster than just the new CPU should be.
ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic