ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550 Steel Legend won't boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyrosyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550 Steel Legend won't boot
    Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 9:17pm
Hi all,

I had this configuration for almost 2 years:
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock B550 Steel Legend
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb Ddr4 3200Mhz?
GIGABYTE AORUS?Gen4 SSD, 1 TB SSD
Gigabyte GP-P750GM

Last week the PC wouldn't boot up and LEDs were acting funny. Looked like a PSU issue but after testing thought it was Motherboard issue. It was under warranty so got Motherboard replaced and ended up replacing the PSU with the Corsair 750 RM. Plugged everything back in, and now I'm getting 5 short beeps and the d6 error.

I tried:
- A different CPU (3700x from my brother's PC, I know for 5900 series need a BIOS update)
- Checking CPU pins on 3700x and 5900x, both seem fine (CPU seems to get warm when booting)
- Using different HDMI/DisplayPort cables
- Removed the motherboard battery
- Checked all power cables

Any suggestions on next steps?
Kyrosyves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyrosyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 9:59pm
Small update:
I tried booting with only HDMI cable in motherboard, CPU (3700x), and RAM installed. Still same 5 short beeps + d6 error.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 11:49pm
5 beeps and d6 indicate no GPU detected. If you can, try another GPU. The display
outputs on the board will only work with an APU (APUs tend to end in "G" like the
3000g or 2200g etc).

The fact that you are getting the d6 error means the board, CPU and RAM are working
as they should. The GPU initialization can't take place unless they are. You may
also want to try your GPU in another system, it may have been damaged by a faulty
PSU. I hope not for your sake though
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic