ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECC Memory Not Working with X670E Steel Legend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilPenguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECC Memory Not Working with X670E Steel Legend
    Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:31am
I'm using two of the following memory modules:
KSM48E40BS8KM-16HM
https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KSM48E40BS8KM-16HM.pdf
Installed on A2, B2 slots.
CPU: 7950X

The board is on BIOS 1.09

When ECC mode is disabled, the RAM works properly and the system boots.
As soon as I explicitly enable ECC, the system won't POST.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 7:28pm
As mentioned in this other thread, it appears that ASROCK has _removed_ ECC support.

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=24901&title=am5-ecc-supportpound

Some time during early October, around the time they listed the new B650* boards, they changed the specifications page for ALL AM5 motherboards and removed the ECC support.

For example for X670E Taichi, 2022-10-03 spec page says, "Supports DDR5 ECC/non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 6600+(OC)*" But 2022-10-10 spec page says, "Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory up to 6600+(OC)*"

So it sounds like they *actually* removed ECC support in the newer BIOS?

Can you try an older BIOS, if it lets you? Even if this works, it's not a good news, because it means you'll be stuck on outdated BIOS.

I built a ton of AM4 systems with ECC, all using AsRock boards, but I haven't yet ventured into AM5. If AsRock won't support ECC, then I'm going elsewhere for sure.

Since their specs pages used to list ECC support, and we can prove it by using WayBackMachine, it might actually be a grounds for a class action lawsuit or something, if you bought one expecting support. If I were you, I'd certainly try to return the thing for a refund, since it no longer meets the requirements.

I see ASUS spec pages still mention ECC support.
EvilPenguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilPenguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 4:30am
I tried the following:
BIOS 1.03 - Refused to post at all, had to use BIOS flashback.
BIOS 1.07 - Won't post once ECC is enabled.
BIOS 1.09 - Won't post once ECC is enabled.

I suspect ECC mode is flat out broken, at least with the modules I used.

This is all at JEDEC timings/clock.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 6:48am
Sorry, no further ideas.

Definitely try AsRock support directly.

Since Wendell (Level1Tech) successfully used EUDIMMs, maybe ask around in that forum as well. And maybe Phoronix forum.

I do believe Kingston Server Premier should work, since they're 100% JEDEC spec. In fact, their stuff has been my go-to EUDIMMs for some time, since other stuff became harder to buy retail. I have 4 sticks of KSM32ES8/16ME, 2 sticks of KSM32ED8/32ME, 2 sticks of KSM32ED8/16HD, and 2 sticks of KSM32ED8/16MR all working perfectly on AsRock AM4 boards, just as an endorsement of sorts.
EvilPenguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EvilPenguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 2:41pm
Just want to provide an update on this.
With the latest 1.14.AS06 BIOS I'm able to get ECC working as intended.
I'm pretty happy about that!
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 8:47pm
Great to hear. You'd laugh, but I pre-bought a new case and fans (Sanyo, of course, because almost nothing else is good enough for me :) ), but I'm still waiting to figure out where I'm going with this, since Asrock pages no longer advertise ECC support.

I'm thinking either Asus or maybe AsrockRack's announced B650D4U series, or even Gigabyte MC13 series. For this build, I really don't need IPMI, so the latter two are overkill.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic