ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 stuck at asrock screen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 stuck at asrock screen
    Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 2:21am
Hi there. I have this system, which I've been using for a few years. I have a ryzen 2700 CPU, with the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming k4 motherboard. Since 2020, I've been using an m.2 SSD, but I few months ago I started using a western digital m.2 nvme 2280 to boot the system. At the same time I updated my OS to ubuntu 22.04. I don't know it is relevant, but my GPU is an nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

Since the beginning, the system took a lot of time to boot, which shouldn't happen. But since I've started using the m.2 nvme a few months ago, with Ubuntu 22.04 a series of problems appeared. The system takes too long to boot, when I'm able to log in to the ubuntu screen after I put my password and log in, the screen goes totally black for a few minutes until it finally it loads the system. Some of these problems are related to ubuntu, but others are not.

In particular, yesterday something started to happen which worries me. When I boot the PC the first time, the ASRock logo appears, with no legends like "press F11" to do this or that, and the system get stuck on that screen. I have to restart the PC, and after restarting using the button, it boots, but quite not normally, it goes to the menu where it offers to start ubuntu normally, or in the recovery mode, or go to UEFI, but it doesn't show the option to boot with my old SSD.

I don't know whats happening, if there is any compatibility issue, if it has something to do with the drivers or what.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 6:48am
Since you say things sort of work, but not quite correctly, I'm thinking maybe something is overheating. I mean, if something is actually broken, I don't think it would work at all.

Check all the temperatures. CPU, VRM, m.2 device, etc.

Another thing I could think of is the connectors on the m.2 SSD being dirty. Maybe clean them and re-seat it? It's possible dirty connectors can cause ERRORS needing lots of retries, but somehow still sort of work.

Lastly, I've seen m.2 SSDs bend like crazy when motherboard heatsink is installed. Supposedly, this is fine, but umm, I don't know about that. So I put rolls of paper under the SSD to counter the force to keep them straight.

Oh, and BIOS version? You're on 2000-series, so 1.80 is probably good. At least, the original AGESA 1.0.0.6 has been incredibly stable for me with four systems using 2000-series Ryzen. I imagine the latest BIOS will work fine with 2000-series, too, since I actually have that combo (B450M PRO4 R2.0 with R7-2700, and latest BIOS AGESA Combo V2 1.2.0.7).

Just some random thoughts.
Geoffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Geoffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 1:34am
I had similar problems about a year ago after changing my boot M.2. card
However, after I removed one of my CD/DVD writers the problem disappeared!
I put it down to not having powerful enought PSU. (I also have many HDDs and ssds).

As I no longer write CDs or DVDs I decided not to replace the PSU and all has been well ever since.
Geoff,
York, UK

Fatal1ty B450 K4; Ryzen 5 2600; 16GB Team Vulcam DDR4-3000; Raedon RX580 4GB; Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 SSD

Now running on Windows 11
Dedalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 2:42am
Hi. Thank you both.

I had updated the bios before installing the system, in January 2020. I should check which version I have, but I think it is newer than 1.80 I believe.

I have a EVGA 600watt bronze, which I think should be working properly with my system. I don't have any DVD or cd writer. The system is composed of the mobo ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K$, a nvme m.2 disk, a m.2 SSD, the ryzen 2700 CPU, the nvidia gtx 1060 3gb GPU, the ram is G.skill Tridentz Rgb 16gb (2 X 8gb) 3200 Mhz- For Amd. The PSU is an EVGA 600 watt 80 Plus Bronze. I think the display doesn't matter, however, it is a Monitor Philips Gamer 22 inches 223v5lhsb2/55 Led Hdmi Vga. I also have a webcam, mouse, keyboard, and the speakers, which are Logitech Z211 2.1 Usb Subwoofer 7 Watts.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 11:41pm
Try with just the NVMe drive installed. That will rule out a SATA storage related issue.
Dedalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Try with just the NVMe drive installed. That will rule out a SATA storage related issue.

I think this might be the cause, although not tried yet. I bought the m.2 SSD, and after it I bought the nvme. I used the m.2 ssd for around two years to boot, with the nvme installed, but not formated. As I was working, although the nvme was already installed, I had no time to format, install o.s. and try the nvme. After I've finished my ph. d, I decided to try the nvme. But I think that after it was installed, already some problems appeared when booting from the SSD; although not sure (two years and a pandemic passed). The problem with the system stuck at the ASRock screen now isn't happening, I don't know what the problem is. But the system takes an eternity to boot, and when I'm logging in to ubuntu (currently I'm using ubuntu 22.04), the monitor screen goes black and takes minutes to load the system. After that, ubuntu usually asks me my ubuntu user log-in key again when I open chrome, and a message related to some key ring or something also appeared some time ago. After that everything works very nicely and smoothly. I think there are a combination of problems with drivers, the operative system, and something related to the storage devices I'm using causing this booting times issue.

If it results to be the SSD, what can I do? I have a lot of data on that device that I frequently need. Is there any solution in that case?
Lolalolita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lolalolita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 6:55pm
Hi dedalus..
Your problem same like me..
What i need is unplug my SATA cable n switch it with a new one..
Geoffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 9:34pm
When these problems were happening to me I used to leave the PC on overnight 'cos a cold boot always caused a problem. Any reboots needed were done in daytime on a 'warm' machine.
Since removing one of my CD/DVD writers the problem has disappeared completely. And, I'm still running 4 internal drives and one external drive and two screens!

I've never updated the BIOS since getting the mobo either. The only change I made was removing one of the CD/DVD drives!

Try reducing the load on your PSU.
Geoff,
York, UK

Fatal1ty B450 K4; Ryzen 5 2600; 16GB Team Vulcam DDR4-3000; Raedon RX580 4GB; Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 SSD

Now running on Windows 11
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Dedalus Dedalus wrote:

If it results to be the SSD, what can I do? I have a lot of data on that device that I frequently need. Is there any solution in that case?

The simplest solution would be to pick up an M.2 USB SSD enclosure, an external
drive enclosure that uses M.2 SATA drives. Once connected via USB you should be
able to copy off all your data.

It sounds like you have corrupted boot data on the SATA M.2 drive. You can google
fixes for that, there is a lot of info out there on how to correct it.

Good luck
Dedalus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 12:14am
Great. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic