ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock J-5040 ITX Active Cooling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock J-5040 ITX Active Cooling
    Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 11:19pm
I'm in the possession of this motherboard and would like active cooling. I have been looking around the net but can't find any useful info related to this subject.

The only thing I found out it had a BGA-1090 socket. But found no cooling for that. Neither any adapters or heatsinks..

I know I can resolve this by ziptying a fan to the sink somehow, but I'd like a more 'elegant' solution.

Do you guys have any idea where I could find this?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 1:44am
BGA = Ball Grid Array
In other words, it's soldered to the board. You typically won't find aftermarket
cooling for BGA CPUs. Your best bet is to look at old GPU coolers and see if you
can find one with the same hole spacing as the existing heatsink on the board.

Honestly though, just slap an appropriate sized fan on the existing heatsink. The
J-5040 is a very low TDP part anyway, even aiming a case fan at the heatsink should
be more than enough.
Albinius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 7:34am
Thanks for that answer! Appreciate it.

Its what i feared a little. The only remaining question is then: The sink is connected to the mobo with 4pins. Why is the heatsink not soldered down, since these pins are easily removed? (I think)

I mean, if its replacable.. why?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 4:03pm
Simple, it's more practical. Firstly, all thermal compounds/solutions degrade over
time. This means at some point in the product's lifespan you will likely need/want
to redo/replace the thermal compound. Secondly, manufacturing cost/ease of assembly.
You will almost never find a heatsink soldered to a PCB and I say almost incase
someone somewhere has done it but I have never seen it done in the IT space.

Board manufacturers will have a consignment of heatsinks ordered and when the
board is ready (all the ICs soldered on and tested) they just clip on the heatsink
and package up the board for sale.

You can replace it, the hole spacing is usually some standard measurement. I have
found quite a few aftermarket GPU coolers that fit boards like these. I have an
old Zalman GPU cooler on one of my n3150 boards for example. It isn't neccessary
as the original heatsink keeps the CPU cool enough but I like tinkering so did it
anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic