ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi and 5900X, major problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicknick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi and 5900X, major problem.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 7:54am
Howdy folks! I'm stalled here, so any help will be much appreciated!

System specs:

AsRock X370TaiChi
Ryzen X1700 (trying to upgrade to 5900X)
4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 (worked at 3066 for years)
GTX1070
Samsung 960Evo 500GB NVMe

Finally upgraded to 5900X, or so I thought.

Board worked flawless for more than 5 years with the 1700X, I stayed with BIOS version 2.40 as I was afraid newer versions might break something.

In preparation for the CPU swap I upgraded the BIOS to 7.10 using the bridge versions in-between. Starting with 7.00 I got a warning about bitlocker/ftpm and boot drive becoming inaccessible, but I'm not using bitlocker and I don't know what ftpm does, and frankly not being able to use the same Windows installation after a BIOS or CPU upgrade seems... inappropriate.

Anyway, after upgrading to 7.10 I let the system boot into Windows, all was still ok. However, after swapping the CPU I got this message:

New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or structure changed.
Press Y to reset fTPM
Press N to keep previous fTPM record and continue system boot.

Pressed N but nothing happened. Waited a few minutes and pressed reset.
Same message appeared so i pressed Y this time. Board restarted a few times then got stuck in a comatose state where:
- it doesn't respond to reset button
- it doesn't respond to power button (short, long, extra-long press, no matter)
- all fans spin at full blast
- it shows no code on the POST display

I must mention that I left it like that for around 10 minutes before trying to reset or power down.

Found some info that using only one stick of RAM increases your chances of success, so I removed 3 out of 4 8GB sticks that I'm using, and at some point Windows said it tried to start but couldn't, tried a repair but during repair the system would reboot and be stuck again in the state described above.

Reset the CMOS, re-flashed the 7.10 BIOS, no avail. Some restarts, codes flasing on the display, then stuck in coma.

Put back the 1700X, Windows started undoing the changes and luckily it seems nothing is lost. I made a backup of critical stuff before starting the BIOS updates, but I'd very much like to keep the current Windows install.

At this point I'm out of ideas, I don't know if the systems gets stuck that way because it doesn't like my Windows install, or the board is not really compatible with 5000-series. Wouldn't surprise me too much, as my previous board (AsRock 880G Extreme-3) claimed to be AM3+ compatible with the latest BIOS, but I encountered much strangeness when trying a FX cpu so had to send it back and revert to my Phenom.
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by quicknick quicknick wrote:

New CPU installed, fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or structure changed.

Pressed N but nothing happened. Waited a few minutes and pressed reset.
Same message appeared so i pressed Y this time. Board restarted a few times then got stuck in a comatose state where:
- it doesn't respond to reset button
- it doesn't respond to power button (short, long, extra-long press, no matter)
- all fans spin at full blast
- it shows no code on the POST display

Howdy bro,...... what you've experience is CORRECT and exactly what it's supposed to do, TPM = Trusted Plateform Module = security against intrusion by software and/or hardware. i.e. take your SSD and put in another PC and it will STOP from getting into windows or files etc.

You previously have fTPM turned ON and produces a digital-security-key locking the your specific-serial-numbered-CPU to the specific-motherboard to the specific-windows installation and specific-SSD. Any of the 4 items changes and the PC-bios and/or windows will lockup.

The theoretical solution is use your old 1700x+windows session then disable/erase the TPM (search google how to do), reset the windows session TPM, I don't know the correct keyword to say. Next I think also need to reset/erase the TPM in bios, hence two places, I might be wrong, definitely need somehting.

After both bios and windows TPM are switched off permanently + erased, then you should be able to install new CPU and boot into windows. Once I had to re-verify my identity login / create new account shxt ...... too long story to write, search google.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
quicknick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicknick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 11:16pm
Thank you very much!

You put me on the right path, I read a bit about TPM then proceeded to:

- "Clear TPM" via tpm.msc from Windows, with old processor installed
- disable TPM in UEFI, save settings. Windows still booting fine.
- shutdown to install new CPU, Windows boots from first attempt
- shutdown again to install all the RAM, and I even have all 4 sticks working at 3200MHz which was impossible in 5 and a half years.

Thanks again, you've made my day!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 12:16am
Awesome, glad to hear you got it up and running. Thanks for the info cx5.
quicknick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicknick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 12:27am
Nah, I spoke too soon, it seems more frustration is in store for me.

I enjoyed the new CPU for a couple of hours, everything stable and quick as it should be, did some benchmarking, monitored things, I was glad that it was boosting to 4.95GHz.

Then I wanted to shut down to fit both fans to the Noctua cooler and tidy things that were un-tidied during my attempts.

But instead of powering down, the system entered the dreadful state where I had to switch the PSU off! And then again it wouldn't boot, as described in first post. At one of the attempts the message was "Starting automatic repair" or something like that, but after some seconds it locked again!

I'll do a fresh install on a spare SSD and see how things go...

quicknick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicknick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 7:56am
Okay, this is how it went:

Swapped back to the 5900X, cleared the CMOS, removed my NVMe boot drive and connected a SATA SSD that I had lying around. Started Windows 10 installation from USB stick, cleared all the partitions that were present on the SSD and during the install the system restarted a few times. At one of the restarts everything locked with the already well-known symptoms. Forced the restart a few times by power cycling the PSU, a few times the "Attempting automatic repair" appeared but soon it would lock again.

Cleared the CMOS then tried installing Windows 11 from USB. Again removed all partitions, and this time it was much clearer. The system hung much sooner, at the first restart.

Put back the 1700X and everything automagically works, no matter the UEFI settings. Defaults or not, TPM or not. At this point I'm almost sure that this board just wasted two days of my life, and unless some miracle BIOS shows up over the weekend I'll be on the lookout for a new board. At least I clearly know what brand I'll avoid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic