ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

verify x99 taichi mb as functional

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philjor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: verify x99 taichi mb as functional
    Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 5:34am
I have an X99 Taichi mb that I have not used for some time; at last try, it would not boot.
I simply want to know how I can test the mb with or without CPU and RAM or anything attached.
Or with whatever is necessary to make sure it does work.
Thanks for any help.
Philip Jourdan
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 4:51pm
You will need at the very least a CPU to test with. Ideally RAM, CPU and GPU.
A lot of boards won't even power on without a CPU and those that do will all halt
at a 00 code (no CPU) which is typically the first POST test which means you will
have no way of knowing if there is a fault further into the POST process. The CPU
is necessary for the POST tests to function.

You can test if the board is "alive" very basically by applying power to the board
(24pin + 8pin CPU) and seeing if the LAN indicator LEDs on the IO panel light up.
If they do then power is getting to the board. Beyond that you won't be able to
figure out much else without a CPU.
philjor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philjor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 4:57am
It is dead!
Is there anything that can be done to resuscitate it? It's such a great board; shame to throw it out.
Power working but no response. Close visual inspection shows not a scratch or bad soldering or blown capacitors.
Could it be refurbished by AsRock or some competent 3rd party?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:15pm
Check inside the socket for any bent pins and look for shorts in the slots, bottom
of board (bent over/touching component legs) etc. Pull the CMOS battery and let it
sit disconnected from power for an hour or so.

You can also check out this thread on overclockers.net:
https://www.overclock.net/threads/x99-deluxe-2-wont-power-on-until-multiple-presses-of-cmos-reset-seasonic-x1050-psu.1636513/#:~:text=Try%20removing%20the%20motherboard%20battery,If%20it%20boots%2C%20great.

Not powering on is a common issue with x99 and most often it can be easily
resolved. Good luck
philjor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philjor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:55pm
I just rechecked plugging in the EVGA 850GQPSU and it blows air with tool to check; it works fine. the board is completely stripped of any connectors and cmos battery is new and cmos is cleared but when connected to 24 pin and CPU (4 pin) connectors there is no fan blowing on PSU.
I don't know what to make of this.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 5:56am
Make sure the clear CMOS jumper isn't in the clear position and that the clear
CMOS button isn't stuck in the depressed position. My X399 board was doing the
same thing when I first installed it in my case, the IO panel was pressing the
clear CMOS button. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to try another
PSU and check for shorts anywhere. If you have a multimeter you can test the
PSU 24pin connector on the board and make sure none of the voltage pins are shorted
to ground. You can google a wiring diagram for the pinout.
philjor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philjor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 3:56am
Checking for shortages, unless is have not understood something about GROUND connections, all ground connections should be common(connection one ground to any other on the board, should be the same) that is, if I connect pins 16 and 17 the fan turns on and conncting 16 to any of the other pins should be the same, right?
If I assume that when the connector is engaged, then the ins 16 and 17 should be shorted out and the fan would turn. Right?
Well, disconnected, the board socket has no continuity between pin 17 (Ground) and any other Ground pins.
Also all the voltage pins appear to be connnecte4d to the Ground.
This leads me to believe that there is a lot shorted out and that is what is causing the problem. That appears to be a major blow-out.
I wonder what could have caused something like that?
philjor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philjor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 2:36am
I'm having a tough time checking this board.
Not sure about the grounds.
I turned the power on with both the 24 pin and 8 pin cpu connectors attached but everything else clear and nothing/1 So I shorted the power on kpins on the 24 pin connection on the underside of the computer.
I heard a click and the power supply turned on but I see no lights or LEDs lit.
What should happen now?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 7:37am
There isn't much more I can really say that would help. I would have to be doing
the fault finding in person to go any deeper. What I have suggested so far is about
as far as you can really go without the proper tools and skills to really dig in.
If you are enjoying troubleshooting as a project, take a look on youtube for board
repair videos etc and see what you can glean there.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic