ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550M HDV - 5600g, no POST after fw update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjovanovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550M HDV - 5600g, no POST after fw update
    Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 1:31am
Hello,

Just purchased B550M HDV from the local retailer (brand new).

Also purchased a the Ryzen 5 5600G from a different ratailer, and RAM (2x32gb Geil 2666Mhz something (pretty standard ram, nothing XMP, fancy etc, regular 1.2v ddr4)).

Anyways, after assebmling everything, they fans would spin up, and it would initialize the DVI/VGA (tried both), however, there is no standard POST, but rather an old DOS style cursor sitting on the screen.

Searched the net, and lo and behold, it turns out that my motherboard although just purchased, came with 2 year old BIOS, v1.20, and I need newer bios for 5600g. DUH...

MBD was manufactured much later than the bios, but I guess they did not bother to put something newer.

Anyways, to avoid RMA-ing everything, I spent 50eur, and purchased a used Ryzen 5 2200G, hoping that I could use it to upgrade the bios, to be able to use my new fancy 6c/12t cpu... And indeed, it did boot up as expected.

Perfect, almost there. I downloaded the latest 2.30 bios from the site, formatted a new fat32 USB stick, unzipped the archive to the stick (nothing else was there), booted the MBD, IntaFlash (or however it is called) from the Tools menu... Selected the only/fw file on the flash. It gave me the appropriate warnings, started flashing, 0-100% (waited patiently), got the message it will reboot now, pressed enter.

OK - so far just like ANY other BIOS or FW upgrade I did over the last 30 years of my PC tech experience.

However the system did not reboot, but actually shut down. OK, whatever, it probably meant it will shut down.

Started it up again, and since then it would NOT post (same 2200g, same ram, nothing changed or touched). It tries to initialize the graphics, but after a milisecond it goes back to powersave. Cycles like that 2-3 times.

Speaker is attached, and there are no beeps.

Googled a bit, but found no valid advice other than clearing CMOS (which I did). To no avail.

Also tried installing 5600g, however with it the behavior is different - still getting the cursor like I was before I attempted to upgrade the bios.

Is there ANY valid advice, short of RMA-ing the MB?

AsRock, the entire experience - everything from the fact that the CPU was released 1.5 years ago, that MB is brand new, and still not supporting it, to the bricked MB... :/ Please save your reputation, and a bunch of my time - having to RMA the MB...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 4:12am
The BIOS version flashed on the board when you purchased it would have
been the latest version available when it was shipped for retail sale. ASRock,
or any manufacturer, can't do anything about BIOS versions once boards have already
been sold and shipped to retailers. From that point it is the retailers responsibility
to update or advise customers that it will be necessary. It's very frustrating but
hardly the fault of the manufacturer. It's particularly annoying in cases like
this where the update procedure is complicated and frustrating. Unfortunatly
you have the one CPU type (Cezanne or 5000g series) that requires the more complex
update method requiring a Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU be used for the update
in order for it to work properly.

Quote To support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU

The 2200g is not Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer. That is why the update didn't work correctly.
You will probably want to contact ASRock Tech Support (this is just a community forum).
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

They will advise you as to what you can do. Good luck, I hope you get the issue
resolved quickly
bjovanovic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjovanovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Quote To support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU

The 2200g is not Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer. That is why the update didn't work correctly.

Ok, let's assume (and I am trying really hard to be flexible in thinking), that AsRock's strategy on 5600g compatibility for this board requires me to purchase 5600 first, a discrete card, and upgrade the bios using that, then toss all of that aside, and then install 5600g, the instructions still do NOT say:
"This BIOS version is NOT compatible with Raven Ridge (which 2200g is), and if you upgrade the FW with Raven Ridge this motherboard and the entire world will implode." :)

I think the wiser strategy would be to not declare 5600g as compatible with this board, or create v1.x of the board and be very clear about compatibility. As it is, how it is, it makes me never want to buy asrock product again..

BTW I will look hard to try to find somewhere on the board the date of manufacture. The import declaration still says 2021, and 1.2 is dated 08/2020

Duh, it is what it is...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic