ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK B650M PG Riptide boot problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASROCK B650M PG Riptide boot problem
    Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:53am
HI.

I have a brand new pc with
16gb times 2 ram that is on the support list
ASROCK B650M PG Riptide
7600x cpu

The problem i have is that my pc will boot and work but after i shut it down and wait around a hour it doesnt boot
and shows a 2 red lights on the motherboard. cpu and dram.
The only way to boot again is to get the ram out and fiddle with it. Boot with only 1 stick or first do it in the second wrong.

The weird is after that i just add the second one. In the correct positions of the board. Restarting works and shutingdown also i just cant wait that long or i cant boot again. I already tried cmos.

What can this be? I also tried memtest 86 also weird 1 by 1 test of the ram it passes. But together i get errors.

What can this be?
I also updated to latest bios and amd chipsets from the official amd site.
funkyj4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:59am
I ment with the way to boot again to get the ram out and use 1 stick. After that add the second one
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 4:14am
What is the RAM model number? Issues like this can sometimes happen if the RAM
is set to XMP (AMP for Ryzen) and the system isn't providing enough voltage to
the RAM during a "cold boot" (as you described, powering on when the system has
been off for some time).

You can test this by turning off XMP/AMP in the BIOS and seeing if the system still
gives the issue. If not, look at the specifications for your RAM, enable XMP/AMP then manually set the RAM voltage to the correct value.

Good luck.

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Dec 2022 at 4:15am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 4:17am
I dont have xmp enabled. Just default speeds i use the KF552C40BBK2-32
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 4:45am
Make sure you have the RAM installed in slots A2 and B2. If you already have the
system set up this way then:

Try putting a single stick in slot A2 and then run memtest. If it passes try putting
it in slot B2 and see if the system POSTs. Some boards won't post with the RAM in
a B slot only but if it does, run memtest again and see if it passes in the B2 slot.
If it fails the test in the B2 slot then RMA the CPU, it could have a faulty
memory controller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:05am
thanks for the help.

The manual says with 1 stick to use B2. I did test that a couple times no problem. It also boots with A2 so i am testing it now.

Is it possible that the cpu is the problem? Once it boots with 2 sticks it works i gamed on it coded on it etc. No issues at all. Can then the cpu be the problem.

Tomorrow i get 2 new sticks just to test from a different brand.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 6:33am
Problems like this are very difficult to pin down. It could be the CPU, it could
be the RAM, it could be the BIOS version. All these things could cause the issue.
The problem is that AM5 is still very new, that means bugs can pop up. On a more
mature platform it would usually either be the RAM or the CPU depending on the
symptoms.

If memtest fails on A2 then it could mean that the CPU has a weak/bad memory channel.
The memory controller is located on the CPU and it has 2 channels (for dual channel)
If one is marginal/weak/bad it can cause the issue you are experiencing.
On the other hand, it could be that the RAM isn't getting enough voltage on cold
boot, that would be a BIOS issue or possibly a bad PSU. I should have asked about
your PSU in my first post. If it is not a new PSU or is a bad make/brand it could
also cause these issues. It's not as likely on a new system as the CPU or RAM
but if it's an older model or a cheaper unit it can be an issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:26pm
I did a2 test and b2 test no issues it passed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:27pm
SOrry i have a tried 2 psu. Both brand new. The one i use now is 850 watt. All new. I checked all cables atx cpu. Even plugin the additional 12v 4 pin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyj4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:28pm
Next i will try new ram. It arrives today, I really hope that is the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic