ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Steel Legend Fan headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Steel Legend Fan headers
    Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 5:52am
Hello one and all. Question about fan headers.

Does it mater which fan header I plug my cooler master ML360 Illusion water pump into? Thee are two connectors in question - one for the three fans on the radiator and one for the water pump itself.

Also, in the motherboard manual on page 43, it references the CPU_FAN1, calling it a quiet fan. What is this? Can I plug any fan into it, including the above mentioned radiator and/or water pump?

If anyone has set up this motherboard with a water cooler, which fan headers would you recommend plugging things into?

My gut tells me all the fan headers do the same thing.

Thanks,
Nelson
modru2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modru2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 11:47am
use either cpu fan header 1 or 2 for the aio and the other for your aio fans. your aio should let you link them together and run off a single fan header.

do not make the mistake i did and plug the aio into the fan header marked aio/chassis. it did not run the water pump and the system overheated and shut down until i figured out what was wrong.

the cpu1 fan header has settings in the bios that let you set silent, performance, full speed modes. for an aio it really doesn't matter. if you use it for the pump just set it to full speed and move on.
nelsonsdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 1:09am
Hello and thanks for your reply!

The motherboard you're referring to is the X670E Steel Legend from Asrock? That's the one I am talking about.

You referenced a header market "aio/chassis". I've looked on the board and in the manual and don't see it, which is why I asked which MB you were referencing.

Your comments about fan header 1 and 2 make sense.

I have a total of 6 fan headers. 1 and 2 referenced above and the other 4 all indicated in the manual as CHA_FAN1/WP, CHA_FAN2/WP AND SO ON.

Thanks,
Nelson
modru2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modru2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 3:12am
yes same board. sorry, it didn't say aio. it said water pump.

page 7 no 3.

don't use the cha/wp headers for the aio. use one of the cpu fan connectors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 5:17am
Great, thanks.
So CPU_FAN1 can be the splitter cable for the three fans on the radiator.
CPU_FAN2 can be for the water pump.

All other fan connectors can be used for the 3 chassis fans that came with the case I'm using, a Fractal meshify 2.

I've been building my own PCs since 1990 - used to go to the computer shows at the county center in White Plains NY and other cities near me in the tri-state area. It was a rare day when all the parts I bought would play nice with each other. But the case to get - and back then, really, the only name brand case, was INWIN.

I always held my breath when I had all the components assembled and finally worked up the nerve to push the power switch! And this was before zero insertion sockets for the CPUs...you had to carefully line up the cpu pins and gently, ever so gently, push it into the socket (removing a cpu was an act of god - flat blade tiny screwdriver, gently pushing under the edges, working it out ever so slowly not to bend anything..... Ram also had pins on them. Same game, gently push, don't bend anything. Thermal grease for a cpu back then? What's that? The tiny fans on the 286s/286s war clipped over the sides of the cpu - they really didn't make much contact....

I digress

Thanks for the help!

- N

- Nelson
modru2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modru2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 2:10am
sounds like a plan.

if your case has a pwm cable and the option of running the fans off a shared cable from the psu then i'd go that route as it would make your cable management easier.

this gives the motherboard the ability to control all the case fans off a single cable while they end up powered else where directly off the psu. my particular case used a sata power cable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 2:57am
Thanks for that info. My case Fractal Meshify 2 does have a pwm cable with a sata power connecter, and one 4 pin header plug. I don't have a splitter for all 3 case fans AND the water cooler radiator (with it's three pins which are on a splitter, ie, 3 into 1) - but I suppose I can plug the radiator splitter into that PWM cable....actually, looking at the instructions for the case, all my fans can plug into what they call a fan hub, which is a combo of 3 and 4 pin headers. There is one 4 pin connecter specially to run a cable to a 4 pin connecter on the board. That 4 pin connecter should be, as you earlier mentioned, cup fan header 1 or 2? Here's a link to a pdf of the case user guide - take a look at page 18 and tell me what you think. Thanks. https://www.fractal-design.com/app/uploads/2020/10/Meshify-2-manual-v.1.2-2020-05-18.pdf
modru2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modru2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 8:46am
ya, it looks like the 4 pin to the cpu fan header and that can run your aio and the 3 pins can run the chassis fans from the hub.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 1:25pm
Well, put it all together and turned it on. had issues with the motherboard no liking DP cables, but that's another story I posted elsewhere.

I have the pump connected to CPU_fan2. In bios, set that connector up as "w_pump", "PWM mode" and "fullspeed.

My cpu seems to be running hot and when I touch the fan, I get no tactile feedback. Bios reports CPU at 163F. CPU is a ryzen 9 7900X. Or is that normal temp for that CPU at idle? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 1:25pm
meant when I touch the PUMP, not the fan...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic