ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock G41M-GS3 lga 775 on Windows 8.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rovelle26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock G41M-GS3 lga 775 on Windows 8.1
    Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 9:34am
Hello. I just to know if my board can support Windows 8.1? I checked its driver on the site if there is a compatible win 8.1 driver for it, but i see nothing. Will my Win7 drivers work on Windows 8.1? Thanks

Edited by rovelle26 - 11 Jun 2015 at 9:35am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 2:13pm
The motherboard should yes. Compatibility comes down to whether the controllers and chipset of the board are supported. Intel tends to support earlier chipsets in its driver releases and even when not Microsoft usually has native support for older intel chipsets. You may find there are no drivers for windows 8.1 on some of your components, possibly NIC or Sound but in most cases, installing the windows 7 driver will work just fine so long as you install the right version, 64bit or 32bit depending on your 8.1 version. 

Windows 8.1 can be installed and run from a flash drive, so if you want to check it out and make sure you like it and want to use it then I recommend trying it that way first. I recently went from windows 7 to windows 8.1 and I really don't see much reason for the average user to make the change.

Do not install windows 8.1 on a system with less than 4gb of RAM it and windows 7 use a lot of RAM and become sluggish with 2gb. This is just my personal experience with win7/8.

So to answer your question, yes your motheboard will support windows 8.1 but unless you have 4gb or more of RAM installed you are going to find it sluggish.
rovelle26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rovelle26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The motherboard should yes. Compatibility comes down to whether the controllers and chipset of the board are supported. Intel tends to support earlier chipsets in its driver releases and even when not Microsoft usually has native support for older intel chipsets. You may find there are no drivers for windows 8.1 on some of your components, possibly NIC or Sound but in most cases, installing the windows 7 driver will work just fine so long as you install the right version, 64bit or 32bit depending on your 8.1 version. 

Windows 8.1 can be installed and run from a flash drive, so if you want to check it out and make sure you like it and want to use it then I recommend trying it that way first. I recently went from windows 7 to windows 8.1 and I really don't see much reason for the average user to make the change.

Do not install windows 8.1 on a system with less than 4gb of RAM it and windows 7 use a lot of RAM and become sluggish with 2gb. This is just my personal experience with win7/8.

So to answer your question, yes your motheboard will support windows 8.1 but unless you have 4gb or more of RAM installed you are going to find it sluggish.

Thanks :) it really helps me alot :) . btw, i got 4gb of rams and plannint to upgrade it to 8gb. Thanks again :)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by rovelle26 rovelle26 wrote:

Hello. I just to know if my board can support Windows 8.1? I checked its driver on the site if there is a compatible win 8.1 driver for it, but i see nothing. Will my Win7 drivers work on Windows 8.1? Thanks

You cannot assume your Windows 7 drivers will work with Windows 8.1. For example, if you search for the Intel graphics driver for your G41 chipset on Intel's website, you'll see there are no versions for Windows 8 or 8.1:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81517/Intel-G41-Express-Chipset

You can always try to install your Window 7 drivers, and they may work, but if not that should not be a surprise. I've been trying Win 10 TP, and most of the Win 8.1 drivers and ASRock software works fine with it. But a few drivers won't install.

You can install Win 8.1, and its native drivers will hopefully all work with your board's chips. That is how any OS installation is done, if the native Windows drivers work, they will be installed, if no driver exists for a certain chip, nothing is installed. Later we install our preferred or required drivers.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 1:25pm
I have had no problem with installing windows 7 chipset and graphics drivers on 8.1 across several platforms. It is not a guarantee but it is pretty likely to work. Windows 8/8.1 are significantly closer on the back end to windows 7 than 10 TP (Tech preview) is to 8/8.1. Problems however do still arise in some cases where a particular aspect of code is handled differently, typically for security or efficiency reasons. 

I can also confirm that win 8.1 natively supports the G41 chipset integrated graphics. The graphics driver however does not support openGL so it is recommended that you install the windows 7 driver if you need openGL. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic