ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E steel legend 5 beep error

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E steel legend 5 beep error
    Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 8:09am
Hello. I assembled a PC and hit the power switch. After a few seconds, I get 5 beeps. When I look at the Post Status Checker, the VGA indicator and Boot indicator are red (obviously there is no OS on the drive yet). I pulled the video card and used only the video from the cpu, same issue. I removed the cpu, reseated, started up, same errors. I put in a different video card, same problem.

5 beeps, VGA lit up RED.

Any thoughts? I was thinking perhaps using the USB bios flashback feature to flash to the latest bios to see if this would fix the issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
nelsonsdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 12:38pm
Follow up. I was using a DP cable to the monitor when I was getting the errors.....I switched to an HDMI cable and it booted into the bios! What the hell? Tried a different DP cable, same problem, Post Status Checker, the VGA indicator and Boot indicator are red. Pulled the cable, put back the HDMI and that worked again. My video card has 2 DP ports and 1 HDMI. I need to run three monitors and have to have access to the two DP ports. But everytime I use a DP connection - including the built in DP port on the motherboard, I get the errors as mentioned. HDMI into the motherboard connection, works. Put my dedicated video card back in, HDMI works, DP won't. Anyone know whats going on?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 1:18pm
Another follow up. Tried a THIRD DP cable - that worked. Could it be that some DP cables have voltage/power running through them and some don't?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 3:22pm
Cables can be problematic. Technically all display port cables should work on
all standards but that is often not the case. A lot of cheaper cables fail to meet
even the most basic standard and as a result don't work on newer standard outputs.

There is a very in depth article on them here:
https://tripplite.eaton.com/products/displayport-cable-types#:~:text=All%20DisplayPort%20cables%20support%20the,data%20the%20cable%20can%20transmit.

It's pretty long but informative if you are curious about what all the standards
are and how they effect your system's ability to display a high refresh signal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelsonsdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 3:57am
Interesting, some of the DP cables I tried on this new X670E steel legend board (and failed) work on a tachi 370 system just fine and an older intel based system as well. Go figure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic