ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - High Cpu Temp On Z170 Only At Uefi Bios (6700k)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Cpu Temp On Z170 Only At Uefi Bios (6700k)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milchuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:24am
Yea I read that, I was only chiming in that I was having the same issue and what my readings were to further the premise that this isn't an anomaly.  
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:51am
Just my .02c,...Yes, I can confirm that the i6700k shows 50c in the UEFI, sometimes higher,...all BIOS defaults no overclock,...and yes this is normal for this board and UEFI. H110i pump at full voltage, fans at balanced profile.

Funny thing is once I get everything installed and running (new Win10 install BTW) and o/c to 4.6GHz cpu and 3466MHz ram it idles at 35c in the UEFI with c states off.Smile And yes, Real Temp shows cpu cores at 18, 22, 20, 17 at idle in Windows.

Hardware info seems to be closer to reality with ambient temp at 24c:

The most important temp is your load temp!

Edited by clubfoot - 15 Jun 2016 at 11:02am
andros11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andros11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 2:11pm
I don't know if you found the reason but if you change the Boot Performance Mode under OC Tweaker -> CPU Configuration to Max Battery ("Max Battery mode will set CPU ratio as x8 until OS handoff") you should get lower temps since it does exactly that. It could potentially cause other problems though like locking the ratio to 8 even after handoff to OS.

Just do a search for  "Boot Performance Mode" in the Forums, others had problems with that enabled.

Andreas
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

Just my .02c,...Yes, I can confirm that the i6700k shows 50c in the UEFI, sometimes higher,...all BIOS defaults no overclock,...and yes this is normal for this board and UEFI. H110i pump at full voltage, fans at balanced profile.

Funny thing is once I get everything installed and running (new Win10 install BTW) and o/c to 4.6GHz cpu and 3466MHz ram it idles at 35c in the UEFI with c states off.Smile And yes, Real Temp shows cpu cores at 18, 22, 20, 17 at idle in Windows.

Hardware info seems to be closer to reality with ambient temp at 24c:

The most important temp is your load temp!

So you have both seen a high CPU temperature while in the UEFI, and after a new OS installation, you don't see that anymore... Confused

I believe you, but that just doesn't make sense. I still have never seen this happen with my board. I tend to use the non-Turbo setting of the Boot Performance Mode option. I'll need to try the Turbo mode option.

I'm starting to think this is related to the i7-6700K. Or it is a UEFI bug, since the CPU temperature should stabilize quickly while using the UEFI UI. Unless somehow the load on the CPU increases over time while in the UEFI.

Did you (and others with this issue) notice (or recall) the CPU fan speed changing along with the CPU temperature, as I would think it would?

So you too get the super low core temps with a Corsair AIO CPU cooler. I always wondered if that was just me, or something with the board I was using, besides my theory about why it happens. Thanks for that and the other information!
Souths1der View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Souths1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:20pm
I recently switched to a Z170 OC Formula from an MSI Z170 Gaming M7 because I'm getting a little more into OC'ing.  I did a little on the MSI, but felt limited.  This post may highjack this thread, but it is related I believe, in that the temp sensors don't seem to be functioning correctly on my board.

I don't know if we're calling the discussion in this thread an "issue" but this is happening to me, and I'll take it just a tad further.  In the BIOS, my temp also reads ~50° C.  In windows, I get different temp readings in Realtemp/HWInfo (these two read the same) and Speedfan (which oddly only reads Core0, 1).  A recent quick run on Prime 95 on stock setting with no OC and with a 4.9 OC:

Speedfan (stock/4.9OC) Realtemp/HWInfo (stock/4.9OC)
 CPU 76/100 76/100
Core0 61/100 76/100
Core1 60/100 75/100
Core2 72/100
Core3 66/100

Furthermore, this is about 15-20°C higher than on my MSI board.  I'm running a custom water loop, 480 radiator that cools CPU and GPU..  At first I thought maybe the TIM didn't spread right, so I took it apart, it looked good, but maybe it wasn't.  No change with the new application.  Idle temps in windows look fine, and the temps drop fast when I kill P95.  I used the same stable 4.9 OC settings I used on my MSI board, and while I never got an error and seemed stable, I was hitting 100°C on all cores.  I would top out at 82°C on the MSI with that OC.  Side note: my times on benchmarks are so much better though, on a couple my times on stock with no OC are dangerously close to the 4.9 OC on the MSI

This is my first OC focused board so I thought maybe these temps are normal, but I've been reading and the temps don't seem normal.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm also having a BIOS issue, which strengthens my thinking that something may be wrong with this board. http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3204&title=bios-slow-on-z170-oc-formula

Edited by Souths1der - 10 Aug 2016 at 10:35pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 12:56am
Let me first say that I'm not saying this apparent problem with the CPU temperature in the UEFI, which so far seems isolated to the i7-6700K, does not happen. I was skeptical at first but after having more users post their similar results, this has my attention.

The way Intel provides processor core and CPU temperature data has been standardized for years now, and is not different between processor generations (ie, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Skylake, etc) and certainly not different between different models of processors of the same generation. Which means a simple UEFI bug is unlikely.

The reason for an issue with the UEFI that only occurs with one processor model (apparently) will be virtually impossible for users to identify. We can see the affect, but finding the cause is most likely beyond what we are capable of doing, since we don't have access to the internal operation of the UEFI code, CPU microcode, etc. If we can't know the cause, what can we do to make the case that this is a UEFI bug and not something that is caused by the user. "Caused by the user" still could be a UEFI related problem, such as if a certain UEFI option is enabled or disabled that causes the CPU temperature to increase over time. This is not the user's fault.

My point is if we can show that it is not something the user is doing wrong, then we have made a better case that it is the UEFI that is the problem. Xaltar basically made this point in his first post in this thread, on page one.

When we are looking at the H/W Monitoring screen, we have all kinds of information potentially related to why the CPU temperature could increase over time. That is:

• VCore: Does not change substantially. Is it high or at a reasonable value?
  • VCCSA: Is it static (not changing) and not high?
  • VCCIO: Is it static and not high?
  • DRAM Voltage: Is it static and not high? The DRAM voltage setting can be different than the reading.
  • CPU Fan 1 speed: Is it low? Does it increase as the CPU temperature increases?
  • CPU Fan 2 speed: Is it low? Does it increase as the CPU temperature increases?
  • For liquid CPU coolers: If the pump is connected to a mother board fan header, is the pump running at the correct speed? Does the pump speed change? Should the pump speed change?
  • Does any reading on this screen seem to be changing or not changing, if it should or should not be changing?
For example, if VCore increases, or changes substantially, that would seem to be a UEFI problem. VCore should not change while in the UEFI UI, except for a small +/- amount in the 0.0X range.

Or if the CPU cooler fan speed(s) do not change as the CPU temperature increases. While that could be caused by a CPU fan speed configuration, I would think a user would know they are using a relatively static CPU fan speed, which will result in a wider range of CPU temperatures.

If the CPU fan speed configuration is one that will increase its speed with relatively small increases in CPU temperature, but as the CPU temperature increases the CPU fan speed remains the same, then something is not normal or working as it should be.

Unfortunately, if the CPU temperature being displayed is not what the CPU temperature actually is, how do we know that? The only clue would be the CPU fan speed not increasing.

Regardless, it is clear to me that this is a terrible situation for the user and the UEFI engineer to deal with. Which is why it will help everyone involved if we can provide as much information about it as possible. Assuming you care to participate.

I did some testing of the Boot Performance Mode option, that I normally set to Max Non-Turbo Performance. I went into the UEFI UI with this option set to that setting, and also with it set to Turbo Performance. In both tests I had the H/W Monitoring screen displayed, and walked from the PC for about 45 minutes. I wrote down the CPU parameters at the start and end of that time period. This was with my i5-6600K at 4.4GHz, DRAM at 3200.

Boot Performance Mode set to Max Non-Turbo Performance:

Start:

• CPU Temperature: 40C.
  • Mother Board Temperature: 30C.
  • VCore: 1.104V - 1.120V.
  • DRAM Voltage: 1.352V.
  • VCCIO Voltage: 1.128V.
  • VCCSA Voltage: 1.168V.
End:

• CPU Temperature: 38.5C.
  • Mother Board Temperature: 30C.
  • VCore: 1.104V - 1.120V.
  • VCCSA Voltage 1.168V.
Boot Performance Mode set to Turbo Performance:

Start:

• CPU Temperature: 44C.
  • Mother Board Temperature: 29C.
  • VCore: 1.20V.

End:

• CPU Temperature: 43.5C.
  • Mother Board Temperature: 29C.
  • VCore: 1.20V.
Yeah, should of done UEFI screenshots, I can do that... Ouch

So for me, no major difference or CPU temperature problem when using the two Boot Mode Performance settings, with my different CPU. Again, not saying it does not happen to others.

Edited by parsec - 12 Aug 2016 at 12:57am
emil2424 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emil2424 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 3:19am
I welcome,

I have the same problem, 50 C in UEFI (2.6 and 3.2 version), and in Windows ~ 30C.

My PC:

Intel Core i7-6700K
Thermalright Macho rev. B
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme Edition
ASRock Gaming K4
G.Skill TridentZ DDR4, 2x8GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZ) DC mode + XMP off = 2133
SSD GoodRAM Iridium Pro 240 GB
EVGA 750W SuperNOVA G2
Nzxt H440 (1x 140 fan BACK + 3x 120 fans FRONT  all without RPM control)
HDD WD Red 2TB

Video from UEFI:

CPU Fan is from Thermalright Macho rev. B and FAN3 is be quiet! PURE WINGS 2 120mm on TOP, so I have 4 Chasi FAN + 1 extra fan + 1 CPU FAN
Foto form Windows 10:

AIDA64 5.75.3900

I read this topic and I know about differences of the temperature in UEFI and of the ones in Windows but 20 C it probably too much.

I am having high hopes that my info will help solve a problem:)

Edited by emil2424 - 10 Sep 2016 at 6:18am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 5:25pm
I keep seeing people reporting this so I will clarify for all who see this.

When you are in the UEFI your CPU is not idle, at least one core is being utilized constantly with monitoring and other UEFI tasks. So when you see a difference between your UEFI temp and your in OS idle temp it only makes sense that idle temps will be lower. 

Operating systems are optimized to minimize CPU usage when "idle" to reduce power consumption and decrease heat output from the CPU/GPU. The UEFI/BIOS is not optimized in this way, it would require a lot more code and likely larger ROM chips for the BIOS itself.

To give an idea, I watch my CPU temps on my Z170 Pro4+ 6600k jump from 29c idle to 56c just by opening Libre Writer. It spikes up there briefly then drops to the mid 30s. If just one, rather lightweight app can cause this then it is easily understandable that the UEFI could cause the temps we are seeing. Yes, I said we, my board reports the same/similar BIOS temps. 

At the end of the day, the temps are well within threshold for any CPU and go down to normal idle levels in the OS. This is not a problem, more of a misunderstanding about how the UEFI works.

I hope this eases the minds of those concerned about this Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic