ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z790 Taichi power draw...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z790 Taichi power draw...
    Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:51am
Hi all,

So im leaning towards this board. But before purchase i want to have these answered...

According to "Tomshardware" review this board consumes a whopping 500 watt during benches while other boards with the same bench consumed around 320 watt. A reddit poster had the same issue.

Review + 500watt
Qoute: "On the performance front, the Taichi was all over the place due to its unfettered default power limits, allowing the system to pull nearly 500W from the wall during stress testing."

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z790-taichi-carrara-review

I really don't want this board to consume that much has THIS BEEN SOLVED with a BIOS update? Or what can i do to negate this power draw should it be setting the PL-1 and PL-2 to stock wattage or less?

Last question i found a G-Skill DDR5 6800mhz kit Hynix A-die (2 x 16gb) will this board have no issues running the kit with XMP profile? And yes its on the QVL listings.

Thanks in advance.
BattleAngel_99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BattleAngel_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:41pm
With the latest Bios my (stock)13900K draws about 380W in CB23 multicore.
After setting a -75mV v-core offset the power draw is down to about 320-330W.

This number looks still high, but i haven't found any powerdraw anomalies during gaming or normal usage. The board is rockstable!

The Bios has a lot of power and voltage options - so there should be some room for more efficiency improvements^^
lawshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 9:36am
Originally posted by BattleAngel_99 BattleAngel_99 wrote:

With the latest Bios my (stock)13900K draws about 380W in CB23 multicore.
After setting a -75mV v-core offset the power draw is down to about 320-330W.

This number looks still high, but i haven't found any powerdraw anomalies during gaming or normal usage. The board is rockstable!

The Bios has a lot of power and voltage options - so there should be some room for more efficiency improvements^^

Thanks for the reply,

I am eyeballing this Asrock Z790 Taichi but also the MSI Z790 carbon.

I can not make up my mind, i wanted a Asus Z790 Strix E but after reading quite the complaints about RAM en XMP support i refrain from Asus.

My hardware that i already have: i7-13700K + MSI RTX4090 Trio X.
Planning to get the G-Skill 6800mhz DDR5 (Hynix A-die) and should work on the Taichi since it is QVL and HOPEFULLY should work with XMP without any issue...

I used to use EVGA boards NEVER an issue but their Z790 Classified is to expensive in Europe and thus out of my reach its so tiresome to find a good stable reliable board these days.

Have you experienced other brands of boards if so how do they compare with Asrock when it comes down to stability and reliability? I am asking this from a RMA percentage and consistency. I know the higher end of Asrock are solid but that can be said with every brand. Your opinion is very much appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BattleAngel_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 4:41pm
I had a lot of connection problems with my old ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming.
The Intel I-225V onboard NIC was terrible, i tried every solution and workaround i've found on google but it didn't help in the end.

That's the reason why i'll never buy a motherboard with an Intel NIC again.
I've tried a MSI B650 Carbon Wifi but i've returned it because the mainboard simply had too many teething problems.

The Taichi on the other runs perfectly smooth^^
Assembled - switched on - works

(Pro tip: if you want your 4090 run @PCIe x16, install the M2-SSD into slot 2)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BattleAngel_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 4:43pm
on the other hand^^
lawshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 6:47am
Originally posted by BattleAngel_99 BattleAngel_99 wrote:

I had a lot of connection problems with my old ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming.
The Intel I-225V onboard NIC was terrible, i tried every solution and workaround i've found on google but it didn't help in the end.

That's the reason why i'll never buy a motherboard with an Intel NIC again.
I've tried a MSI B650 Carbon Wifi but i've returned it because the mainboard simply had too many teething problems.

The Taichi on the other runs perfectly smooth^^
Assembled - switched on - works

(Pro tip: if you want your 4090 run @PCIe x16, install the M2-SSD into slot 2)

Thank you for your input much appreciate it,

Yeah im leaning heavily to the Z790 Taichi already checking manual, BIOS settings etc. Very GOOD tip about the M2 slot (on slot 2 not 1) of course i want to use full bandwith with the 4090. Thanks again m8!
lawshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 6:24am
So i have the Asrock Z790 Taichi after a lot of contemplating between this or the MSI Z790 Carbon. I took great care building my new rig with the RTX 4090 latest BIOS and drivers. And a Nynix A-die ddr5 kit on the QVL. And all is well it posted right into BIOS and then i booted into my bootable w10 usb drive which i couldn't the drive was corrupted new usb drive with w10 and booted right into w10. It simply works 3 days no issues yet...3dmark was good, still need Memtest to do and one cpu test to confirm stability. But im impressed by the Taichi board. I sincerely hope it will last a good amount of time if so i will keep buying Asrock in the future. Im not an extreme overclocker just plain XMP and the rest at default is all i need.

Thanks for the pro tip by placing the m2 ssd on slot 2 i did that knowing it wont take full PCIE5 bandwith.

Thanks for the help again.
Gatt59 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatt59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 2:36pm
I'm actually using the Taichi Z690 with the i9-13900F. I was planning to upgrade to the Taichi Z790, however now it is only E-ATX. So, I'd have to change my case as well.

What case are you all using?

Thank you
ASRock Z690 Taichi
Intel i9-13900F
Noctua NH-U12A Chromax Black
PNY RTX 4080

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BattleAngel_99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 6:19am
I have a BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900.
But if you need a high air flow case, you should look for something different^^
lawshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lawshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Gatt59 Gatt59 wrote:

I'm actually using the Taichi Z690 with the i9-13900F. I was planning to upgrade to the Taichi Z790, however now it is only E-ATX. So, I'd have to change my case as well.

What case are you all using?

Thank you

I'm using all Lian Li cases current one is a: Lian Li PC-O11 WX

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lian-li-pc-o11wx-tempered-glass-aluminum-eatx-case,4935.html

All aluminum outside and insidewhich gives it a real premium look and feel.
I noticed lately Lian Li even in their higher end cases use PLAIN steel inside their cases it wasn't this way before.

PS if you planning on getting a RTX 4000 series card or AMD 7000 series the Z790 Taichi should fit any case with the above mentioned gpu's the E-ATX just means ON THIS board the mb PCB extends a bit beyond the regular ATX screw holes. And i do use the stand-offs from the regular ATX.

If your planning for a new case make sure the case can accomodate a beefy card like the RTX 4090 since its very wide approx 150mm PLUS clearance for the 12pin cable and you dont want to aggressively bend the 12pin cable it causes melting and other issues so dont do that in a smaller case. So plan accordingly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic