ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS file hashes or signatures (question)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gorn42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS file hashes or signatures (question)
    Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:32pm

When you download Oracle JDK, they provide SHA512 hashes, and when you download TOR browser, they provide a PGP signature. Most win32 executables from major companies are signed with a security certificate.

However, though the BIOS is clearly a hugely import piece from a computer security viewpoint, I don't see any SHA256/512 hashes or pgp signatures available for the BIOS downloads, and I don't think .ROM files can be signed in a way that allows Windows or the user to verify the signature.

Why is this, Asrock? Why are these critical security measures not in place?
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 11:08pm
I don't think any brand does this, but every BIOS is verified for a board before You update, so it can only use a BIOS verified for that particular board.
And Honestly, after 40 years in the business, the only time people ruined theur BIOS, was by there own doing, or downloading it from a different website, other than the manufacturers.
I think, only when its proven, that a BIOS on their website, is hacked, they will react to the threat
Kind Regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic