ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X670E PRO RS Limited to 4 SATA Ports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug4.7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X670E PRO RS Limited to 4 SATA Ports
    Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 3:26am
I have a ASRock X670E PRO RS and I am unable to install more than 4 SATA drives (3 SATA hard drives plus a DVD writer). I have a Kingston FURY Renegade M.2 2280 2TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC SSD in the ?śBlazing??M.2 slot which is the boot drive to Windows 11. The rest of my system is:

G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5 5600 F5-5600J2834F32GX2-RS5W (2, total of 128GB)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X - 12-Core 4.7 GHz
Seagate IronWolf 14TB Hard Drive ST14000VN0008
Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB
Seagate IronWolf 6TB ST6000VN001
LG MoDISK BD Rewriter

When I have the above items plugged in, everything works fine. I?™ve not tried to run any setting above ?śdefault??in the BIOS. When I try to add a 4th SATA drive (usually one of my 4 TB drives), things get weird. Usually, the 4th spinning drive just won?™t show up in Windows 11 or when I?™m in the BIOS. Now if I disconnect one of the other spinning drives (that were already in the system), usually the 4th (new) drive shows up in place of the removed drive, but not always. Things get inconsistent once I start messing with a 4th SATA drive. Note, this happens even if the 4th drive is an SSD SATA drive.

Any idea why I can?™t seem to add a 4th drive? I do have lots of memory installed (Matlab, which I use A LOT, really appreciates lots of memory). I?™m at a loss as once that 4th drive is part of the equation, odd, non-repeatable things happen (in other words, I can get two different outcomes with the same hardware plugged in).

The bottom line is I can only have a consistent, stable system with the Kingston SSD in the ?śBlazing??M.2 slot, the BD drive in the first SATA slot, and the other 3 spinning SATA drives in 3 of the other SATA slots (doesn?™t seem to matter WHICH slots the other drives are attached to).
Seek Professional Help
Katana1074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katana1074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:11pm
Hi There...

I had drives randomly not show up in my x670 taichi bios,(with 7 Sata ssd)however they have shown up in windows,is the 4th drive initialized in windows and partitioned ?...

Logically speaking the x670 pro rs has 3 sata controllers which can take 2 drives each,2 sata controllers are attached to the first prom 21 chipset and the other is attached to the 2nd prom 21 chipset, Have you tried attaching all the hard drives to the first chipset and the bd writer to the 2nd chipset ?...
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:37pm
Looking at the manual, it looks like the first 4 SATA ports are from the first chipset, and the 2 more SATA ports are from the second chipset. But as you wrote, which port you use isn't making a difference, so it seems unlikely to be a hardware defect. Maybe BIOS bug?

Since optical drives are slightly different from HDDs, I'd try to put all the HDDs on the first four ports, and put the optical drive on one of the last two port. It's perfectly fine to leave any number of port(s) in the middle unused.

I don't have any other ideas, other than contacting customer service. It should be easy enough for them to TRY to recreate your configuration in their labs.
Doug4.7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug4.7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Katana1074 Katana1074 wrote:

...is the 4th drive initialized in windows and partitioned ?...
The extra (beyond 3) drives are all "windowed" and partitioned. They actually came out of my prior computer that I am updating with the Pro RS.

My son (the musician/gamer) was wondering if it might be a voltage issue, due the the amount of RAM I have. Of course, there are a billion different voltages to adjust in the BIOS, so even if that were the issue, I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks for the reply.
Seek Professional Help
Doug4.7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug4.7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by eccential eccential wrote:

...Maybe BIOS bug?
I hope not, as that would not be a quick fix.
Quote Since optical drives are slightly different from HDDs, I'd try to put all the HDDs on the first four ports, and put the optical drive on one of the last two port. It's perfectly fine to leave any number of port(s) in the middle unused.
I'll try that one. I put the BD drive on the FIRST port, I never tried it on the LAST port.
Quote I don't have any other ideas, other than contacting customer service. It should be easy enough for them to TRY to recreate your configuration in their labs.
I'll try that after moving the BD drive around.

Thanks for the reply!
Seek Professional Help
Doug4.7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug4.7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:43pm
From what I've read on the internet (so far) folks have not been using this board to grind lots of data (what I'm doing). It's mostly gaming and such. I need lots of storage and lots of memory. I have the memory, I just need to connect all of my other drives.

Note, if I connect the HDDs via USB (I have a USB docking station), there are no issues with the extra drives. They show up in Windows just fine. IF I can't find a solution, I may just get one of those external HDD enclosures that use USB and stuff all my extra drives in there. However, the board has 6 SATA connectors, I should be able to use them (like I should be able to use all 4 memory slots).
Seek Professional Help
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:45pm
I considered power supply not being enough when I originally saw this thread, but that seems incredibly unlikely, because you wrote that even a 4th SATA SSD didn't work. SATA SSDs consume very little power, and none at all from 12V rail.

Amount of RAM is of little consequence to power supply because they don't consume that much power.

Oh, one more idea. Have you tried different SATA cable(s)? It's fairly rare, but I've encountered bad SATA cables before. And if you have additional SATA power connectors from the power supply, try different plugs, also.
Doug4.7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug4.7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:07am

...Have you tried different SATA cable(s)? It's fairly rare, but I've encountered bad SATA cables before. And if you have additional SATA power connectors from the power supply, try different plugs, also.
Sadly, I tried a number of SATA cables (I have lots of them). No change.

I'll try a different power cable from the power supply.

Thanks for the reply! I've built a number of computers over the years and have never had this issue before.
Seek Professional Help
Katana1074 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katana1074 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:58am
have you tried changing Launch Storage OpROM Policy in the boot menu ?
Doug4.7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug4.7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 5:55am

I'd try to put all the HDDs on the first four ports, and put the optical drive on one of the last two port. It's perfectly fine to leave any number of port(s) in the middle unused.
"here's another clue for you all..."
I tried that and was able to add ONE more hard drive, either SSD or spinning. If I try to add a spinning AND an SSD, it only gets one of the two (surprisingly, in my test, it got the Spinning drive, but not the SSD). When I disconnect the SSD OR the spinning drive, I get the other one. So I'm now up to 4 SATA drives and a BD (with the BD on the LAST SATA connection).
Seek Professional Help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic