ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 creator changes boot order

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozorfis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 creator changes boot order
    Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 11:14pm
I have Win10 on a NVME raid as my OS.
This system gets mirrored to a Sata SSD as a backup.

When I restart my PC the BIOS sometimes switches boot devices and boots from the SATA SSD. I set it back to "AMD Raid" as the only option and disable the rest.
The bios opens up the second slot, puts the SATA SSD as primary and the "AMD Raid" as secondary. I have used Paragon Disk Manager to mirror the drive and it has an option "boot from image" or so - will disable this next time around. But this setting should not mess around with my bios rather the Win 10 boot manager.

Bios version is 3.9. Any ideas ?

Many thanks
Ozo
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 9:38pm
This likely has to do with device ID's, when using an M.2, is usually will become disk ID 0, however, as soon as you conenct a ATA device, You will see the ID of the SATA devcie, will become 0, and the M.2 will become Disk 1, this is Windows issue.
And You should not use paragorn, but let the AMD RAID handle this.
What You now have is probably a RAID 0 on M.2, and the SATA SSD as mirror, and basically you now have 2 Windows bootmanagers on your system, and it seems it refers to drive ID 0
Kind Regards
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 12:01pm
that is nice story posted above, but boot entries are cached in uefi firmware, windows doesnt care about disk numbers, it has its own way to detect drives, the only reason for it to switch order on its own is that there is some issue with nvme drive
that means, you power up PC, nvme is gone (either failed to initialise or just needs more time for raid), boot order switches to sata, then you reboot coz you notice it and nvme reappears there

you could probably add second boot entry to your sata drive with easy BCD which would boot from your nvme raid

Edited by kerberos_20 - 21 Feb 2023 at 12:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic