ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Taichi iGPU driver crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcstagg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Taichi iGPU driver crash
    Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 5:02am
Hello,

I have just installed my new x670E Taichi motherboard along with my 7950x. I am currently running without a GPU while I wait for mine to arrive.

Unfortunately after updating to BIOS version 1.11 the amd video driver repeatedly crashes and the screen artifacts. Rolling back to BIOS version 1.07 resolves the problem. I have tested all of the 1.11 BETA versions as well.

This is mostly a bug report as I imagine it won't be a problem when I get my graphics card but for the next week or so its a slight annoyance that I have to run an old BIOS.

ynr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 6:02am
1. Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
2. Display glitches(If lucky) No record at event viewer.
3. Screen artifacts (No recovery except a restart after which it starts again. No record at event viewer.)

Either display driver stopping, display glitches or screen artifacts. So often that PC is not usable.

I have the same CPU and motherboard with no external graphics card. Installed it with an old Samsung 960 EVO and 1 more SSD and 1 HDD with Win 10. They weren't used for about 3 years. BIOs updated to latest before turning PC on. Windows 10 updated to latest, graphics drivers updated, DDU and updated, did a lot of trial and error on Windows, tried usb-c instead of hdmi with a different cable that I know works well, disabled EXPO profiles, reseated CPU and memory sticks, did memtest on the sticks, CMOS clear, disable freesync, decrease refresh rate, disable HDR, etc. Maybe old drivers of old hardware cause issues? Ok, did a clean installation of windows 10, still no luck. I'd keep getting different errors. If I was lucky, it would be 'Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' at Windows event viewer. If I realized this is happening and stopped moving the mouse or typing anything on the keyboard while it is ongoing, it would be back to normal after a few seconds. If not, screen artifacts would form all of a sudden and I would have to restart and nothing except a restart would fix them, and that only for a short time before they reappeared. Sometimes screen artifacts would start just on Windows explorer, not even when watching any video. The frequency of this happening increased so much over time that I would not be able to use the computer more than a minute. I would switch back to some previous BIOs version, but I wasn't sure which one, even though 1.07 seemed the best option since 1.09 release notes mentioned they 'fixed' some iGPU issues. Switched back to 1.07 directly thanks to your post and now all errors are gone.

ASROCK, it is not acceptable that such a critical bug has not been found or not been fixed for the past three months. A Mobo costing over 499 and I have to troubleshoot the hell out of every component? First time ASRock here because I wanted to give a chance to some competitor of my usual ASUS, but I am having second thoughts now. When will this be fixed on the latest BIOS?
ynr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 12:16pm
I tried 1.18 AS03. I wasn't so hopeful about it and it didn't work out. Screen artifacts and monitor randomly not getting any input signals from the graphics port was back a few minutes after Windows started. I had to revert to 1.07 again so that system would be stable.

Does anybody have an ETA for a fix? Was this error even acknowledged?
ynr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 8:32am
Originally posted by ynr ynr wrote:

I tried 1.18 AS03. I wasn't so hopeful about it and it didn't work out. Screen artifacts and monitor randomly not getting any input signals from the graphics port was back a few minutes after Windows started. I had to revert to 1.07 again so that system would be stable.

Does anybody have an ETA for a fix? Was this error even acknowledged?

Tried 1.18 as well. No help.

Contacted support. I was recommended to exchange both CPU and MOBO. Trying to find a solution with AMD. I don't know what the actual error is because even with 1.07, the display driver stops responding once every few hours. This is much less often than with other versions and is not as annoying, and there are no artifacts with 1.07. but still, there is a problem and further problems can arise later.

I will report here whenever I find a fix, with replacement of either MOBO or CPU or both.
ynr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ynr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 11:55am
I tried this with another ASRock Taichi and also an ASUS board. I used another pair of same RAM and then another model of RAM. Everything failed with all combinations I tried. It would either be the PSU or the CPU. I ended up borrowing a graphics card to try. Since everything worked with a graphics card pretty solid, I decided it was the CPU. I don't know why the error repeats much, much less when it is BIOS version 1.07, but it was a faulty CPU. With the replacement from AMD, iGPU works without issues.

P.S.: I didn't try the new CPU with ASRock X670E Taichi since I decided to use the ASUS board(I liked that it had 3 PCIx slots rather than the 2 ASRock has). So I can't say for sure ASRock BIOS or board had no issues. But I am 99.99% sure that the 2 ASRock X670E Taichis I had were okay and it was a faulty 7950x on AMD side.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 2:58pm
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you have your system up and running
Enjoy the build
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic