ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 Extreme4 Raid 0 Question, Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 Extreme4 Raid 0 Question, Please Help
    Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:17pm
I stayed up all night and I think finally I am very close but I am stuck in the final Phase of understanding this:
To better explain myself after completing the Intel's Rapid Storage Raid Array for those 2 drives you can see the new drive in Disk Management and elsewhere combine the size of 2 SSDs, however I thought it would be stripping and would only have Max size of one of the drives? You can see what I mean in the following picture I am attaching, the 2 SSDs that were combined is identical with the "MUSH I" drive so those 2 combined drives volume size should have been about the same if they are really RAID 0 now? about 931GB I thought Raid 0 turned them into one with faster capabilities? however both in Intel utility and Disk Management the size is 1.81TB

I am confused Everything went perfectly fine on Intel Rapid Storage Tech Utility and as you can see it is setup correctly as stated there TYPE RAID 0 on that side.

Am I missing something, Did I make a mistake allocating in Disk Management?

the image file I took screen shot is here:

Edited by thetoons - 29 Apr 2016 at 4:30pm
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:34pm
I am very much stuck here I am not sure what are the best choices to allocate these disks as Disk management asks many different questions when I try to Set up these drives, 
Should I allocated them in Simple individual Volumes before I ran the Intel Rapid Storage utility?

thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:24pm
Okay I have used the Intel Utility This is where I m stuck at I chose RAID 0 which was my mission, I chose the right identical SSDs and it has completed (message said I have to still allocate the drives since they are unallocated in disk management) however now Do I choose NEW MIRRORED VOLUME in Disk management to Allocate it currently? (talking about 2 SSDs that are Raid 0) and I am assuming other regular SSDs I choose NEW SIMPLE VOLUME?

Waiting for your answer on this as this is I believe the very last step?
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:17pm
VERY LATEST UPDATE: I am in the last phase The Intel Rapid Storage Tech Driver is installation phase.
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:11pm
LATEST UPDATE: I was able to figure out and install the Rapid Sata Swtich, there are 2 options to change the slider, I am going to change only SATA3 Controller to RAID mode because that's where my SSDs will be connected I Presume?

I know I have a lot of questions and I apologize, first time Doing this. 
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:02pm
UPDATE : I can't seem to find Rapid SATA Switch application on x99 Extreme4 main download page
there is one utility called INTEL RAPID STORAGE TECH DRIVER AND UTILITY, but that was a larger file doesn't look like a simple changer utility..it is actually mentioned in your reply separately so that must be different tool...

I will await for your answer before I mess things up

Edited by thetoons - 29 Apr 2016 at 3:03pm
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:55pm
I found it, It was selected AHCI Mode which I assume then I have to do the switch you described since I already installed OS on m.2? (even though I am only doing Raid 0 on additional SSDs?)
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm
Dear Parsec Do you happen to remember in which menu I can check about that SATA Mode being set to RAID, I have checked the UEFI now but couldn't figure out.

Additionally I wanted to let you know, Yes I made sure I connected the 2 drives on SATA 3_5 and 3_4 which motherboard manual says it is in the range for RAID  (says RAID supported SATA 3_0 ~ SATA 3_5)

thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:36pm
parsec thank you it was very valuable information that you just wrote, I haven't seen anywhere else and I was just trying to figure things out myself.

so far this is what I have done

-I found online that you have to delete volumes of the drives you are going to raid so I did that (I actually deleted all the volumes in disk management in windows 10, Only Except m.2 drive which my OS running)

-I took a win 10 system back up of my OS C: Drive which is m.2 drive.

-- After reading your post, I have one Initial Question, you are very clear on setting RAID mode;
Is this still Valid if I am only making additional 2 SSDs Raid 0 (not where windows is (M.2))
I am guessing the backup I just took (while possibly not on Raid Mode is also Useless (if something goes wrong I mean?)

I will follow after I know for sure I explained myself correctly about the fact that I am not Raid'ing windows OS Drive. but still have to switch Raid mode.

Thanks again I am following this post.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 1:39pm
Formatting the drives as you did will not prevent you from using them in a RAID array. That is not a problem at all.

Whenever a RAID array is created on drives, they lose any formatting they previously had, and must be formatted again after the RAID array is created. Of course, anything on those drives will be lost unless it is saved first.

Did you install Windows in RAID mode? That is, was the SATA Mode set to RAID in the UEFI/BIOS?

If it was, you are done with the first step. If not, you can fix that by using a tool supplied by ASRock.

Install and run the ASRock APP Shop utility, available on your board's download page. In the main Apps screen, find and download the Rapid SATA Switch application.

Run this program, which just completes without any fanfare. Then immediately go into the UEFI/BIOS and change the SATA Mode to RAID. Save and Exit the UEFI. NOTE: You must now always maintain the setting of SATA Mode to RAID. That means if you clear the UEFI/BIOS, or change to a new UEFI version, be sure to reset the SATA Mode to RAID.

While you were in the UEFI, Storage Configuration screen to set the SATA mode to RAID, you may have noticed that only six of the Intel SATA ports support RAID. Be sure that the drives you want to use in RAID are connected to the correct SATA ports.

Next, if you have not done this, download and install the Intel IRST RAID driver and IRST RAID utility from your board's download page, for the OS version you are using. That's all in one program called Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:14.5.0.1081:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Once that is installed, there will be an entry for it in the Windows Control Panel, called Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Run that program to create the RAID array.

You'll find a Help button at the top of the screen that you should click on. That will open a new Windows with all the information about creating the RAID array of your choice. Instead of continuing with this cookbook method of using RAID Wink  you really must read about it to get a better understanding of how it all works.

If you have more questions please let us know.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic