ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPU upgrade for a Z97 Extreme MB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPU upgrade for a Z97 Extreme MB
    Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 7:36pm
Parsec,
Ok, even my wife is spoiled.  Her computer was an old Z77 Extreme4/2600K system running at 4.5Ghz.  I got cute and "upgraded her to an Z97 Extreme6/G3258 running at 4GHz.  The main reason I changed her hardware was to get a fresh copy of W10 - the 2600K system was an in-place upgrade to W10 and never really acted correctly.  By comparison, just doing Web surfing and minor game playing, the new system is noticeably slower.  The reason I went with the G3258 CPU was heat generation.  It runs pretty cool no matter what the room temperature. 
I am contemplating upgrading the G3258 CPU to the Xeon 1246 V3.  Will the change in CPU's require a reload of W10?  I remember when I upgraded my Z97 Killer home server system from a G3258 to the Xeon it had some issues and I just reinstalled W10 but I'm not sure it was the CPU change that was the root cause of the problems.     
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 7:40pm
Thanks all, for the input.
gniblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gniblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:44pm
No, you don't need to reinstall Windows after performing a CPU change. If this is the Extreme6 I know that in all UEFI versions the CPU has been supported. I am not as certain about the other Extreme motherboards. Check the page for your board to see if it's supporte under the UEFI version that you have installed. It's likely that it is. Then you're good to go.
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 7:24pm
Thanks for the info.  However, I broke down and spent the extra $30 and purchased another 4790K processor.  Since I already have two of them running on Z97 Extreme6 MB's and have not had any serious issues I took the path of least resistance.  The only complaint I  have is three 4790K's I own really don't like to be OC'd much beyond 4.6 GHz.  But then... running the 4790K at stock settings for 24/7 operation is where I always seem to end up anyway.  In the real world I find it hard to tell the difference between 4.2GHz and 4.6GHz.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 9:59pm
4.2 to 4.6 only makes sense if you like to brag on synthetic benchmarks. Otherwise ..........

24/7 ops, 4.2 is good so long as it's properly vented and cooled.

My 2cents worth anyways

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Ken429 Ken429 wrote:

Parsec,
Ok, even my wife is spoiled.  Her computer was an old Z77 Extreme4/2600K system running at 4.5Ghz.  I got cute and "upgraded her to an Z97 Extreme6/G3258 running at 4GHz.  The main reason I changed her hardware was to get a fresh copy of W10 - the 2600K system was an in-place upgrade to W10 and never really acted correctly.  By comparison, just doing Web surfing and minor game playing, the new system is noticeably slower.  The reason I went with the G3258 CPU was heat generation.  It runs pretty cool no matter what the room temperature. 
I am contemplating upgrading the G3258 CPU to the Xeon 1246 V3.  Will the change in CPU's require a reload of W10?  I remember when I upgraded my Z97 Killer home server system from a G3258 to the Xeon it had some issues and I just reinstalled W10 but I'm not sure it was the CPU change that was the root cause of the problems.     

And whom is helping her be spoiled? Wink

As you know, no it won't. You already cleared the UEFI after installing the 4790K. But I would run the INF/Chipset file installation program, and the IME software installer again, or any newer versions, just in case.

I saw recently that Intel announced that all of the Haswell Mainstream/Performance processors, including the i7-4790K, are being discontinued. The last shipment date from Intel is 6/14/2017.

Same thing for the corresponding Celeron and Pentium processors, except for the G3258, as far as I can see.

That was a four year life span before EOL status. Has it been that long already? That seems longer than both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors.

The over clocking headroom on the i7-4xxxK processors was never that high. The stock Turbo speed of 4.4GHz could be applied to all cores easily, but the questionable zone of 4.7GHz and beyond is only 300MHz away. Add to that Haswell's heat situation with the on-CPU VRMs... you know the rest.

Edited by parsec - 30 Jul 2016 at 10:41pm
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 6:34pm
Wardog,
They are all water cooled in one form or another, H100i, H100i GTX and Swiftech Apogee XL etc.  I've never even tried running one of the 4790K systems on air.

Help,
Why don't I get email notifications when someone replies to one of my subscribed threads on this site - like this thread?   I have all the right stuff marked in the Profile section - I think - and I make sure the "Email Notify me of Replies" is checked.  What an I missing?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic