ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [B650E PG Riptide WiFi]No POST if any bios setting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[B650E PG Riptide WiFi]No POST if any bios setting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [B650E PG Riptide WiFi]No POST if any bios setting
    Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 10:21pm
I've been dealing with a very frustrating issue for months now. Applying any bios setting and restarting makes it not post anymore. It gets stuck on the DRAM+CPU debug LEDs. However clearing CMOS and booting without ever entering bios will post just fine into the OS and everything works as it should

At first I thought it would probably be the issue with the AMD AGESA update everyone was talking about so I decided to wait out the bios updates, but now that the updated bioses (in my case 1.18.AS03) are out I can confidently say: my problem persists :(

It seems to be independent of bios versions as well no amount of down or upgrading the bios will change anything. I tried every bios version on the driver and support page for this motherboard. It used to work fine before. Never did any overclocking or anything in the bios out of the ordinary.

Its not the first time I had issues with this build, see my other thread for more info on that.

Is the mobo toast? cpu defective? - I have no idea where even to start.

Does anyone know whats going on?

My system:
- Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi (new)
- AMD Ryzen 7600x (new)
- 2x Crucial DIMM 16GB, DDR5-4800
- NH-D15 (from previous build, known good and working)
- Seasonic Prime TX-750 750W PSU (from previous build, known good and working)
- GTX 770 (from pevious build)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 11:44pm
Make sure your RAM is in slots A2 and B2 not A1 and B1. When using only 2 modules
using A1 and B1 can cause issues exactly like this. If that isn't the issue I would
try another PSU, just to rule it out. Never assume a power supply is "known good"
because it came from a previous build. PSUs degrade over time, even good ones. I
am not saying it is the PSU, only that because it is carried over it is worth testing
with another one, just to be sure.

If it isn't the RAM slots used or the PSU then post back here again and we can
try to figure out the cause. It may be as simple as needing to reseat the CPU.
Also, make sure your CPU cooler is not tightened down too tight or unevenly.
With LGA sockets and CPUs uneven/excessive pressure on the CPU can cause poor
contact on the pins.

Good luck
ramdomdude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 12:18am
Thank you for your time!

The ram is in slots A2 and B2 (furthest and second furthest slot from the cpu[1])
The PSU is not even a year old and no issues so old age is exceedingly unlikely, none of those issues(or any issues at all occurred in the previous build). I dont have another PSU to check.
I reseated the CPU (and therefore the cooler) twice, how would you go about loosening the cooler? Its a noctua(installed exactly as the manual told me to) one, so each of the 2 screws 1 quater turn to the left?

I should maybe mention that if I do clear CMOS and boot without ever entering bios it doesnt overheat cause weird issues or anything I can really tell and I can use the system for hours on end(I 'tested' a gaming uptime of 48 hours with mostly active gameplay and afk times for when I needed to sleep) without any instability.

For reference this is my previous thread: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25183&PID=102470𙁆

[1] A2 and B2 according to the manual here https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B650E%20PG%20Riptide%20WiFi_English.pdf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 12:23am
*and by second furthest I meant third furthest
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 1:04am
RAM slots:

[ ] |:|:
CPU Slots

: represent populated slots.

As for the cooler, it just needs to be "snug", often people overtighten them thinking
it will improve thermal performance. The CPU is basically a flat board with contacts
on it resting on springs, if there is uneven pressure one side will lift. If there
is too much pressure, the substrate (PCB) of the CPU can warp, again lifting pads
off pins.

Its unlikely to be the cause of your issue though as you have reseated and reapplied
the cooler more than once. Unless you did it the exact same wrong way every time,
it's likely not the culprit.

If you have not already, I would open a support ticket with ASRock:
https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp

They should be able to do things like test your RAM (model) etc and see if there
is an incompatibility somewhere.

Let us know how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 1:13am
>[] |:|:

Yeah thats how I did it.

>Its unlikely to be the cause of your issue though as you have reseated and reapplied the cooler more than once. Unless you did it the exact same wrong way every time, it's likely not the culprit.

yeah, as per the manual I tightened the screws alternatingly a quater turn each time until the point where 'there was significant resistance but I could've continued using an uncomfortable amount of force' and the fact that it doesnt overheat or throttle at all means that its (likely) making good and proper contact so its not under tightened as well

>They should be able to do things like test your RAM (model) etc and see if there
is an incompatibility somewhere.

Remotely? Or do you mean by specs.

>If you have not already, I would open a support ticket with ASRock: https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp

I will give that a shot then, reaffirming to know that its not something immediately obvious I was missing.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 1:30am
They do their testing in house using the same model components you have in your
system whenever possible. If they don't have the same RAM you used in your system
then it was never verified for your board. It's how they make the QVL lists

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 4:14am
huh, I never really thought about that, but holy sh*t that makes so much sense. Its the Crucial DDR5-4800, CL40-39-39C T16G48C40U5, so definitely on the QVL.
Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 3:39am
Well time for an update I contacted ASrock support, they told me its probably either motherboard or CPU or both and that I should request an RMA at the retailer I got them from.
I then contacted the technical support of my retailer with the same conclusion.
I then sent CPU and Motherboard back and a week later I got that same CPU(they tested it and found no fault) back and a new Motherboard.
The new Motherboard arrived today. So I rebuild everything and cautiously started testing:
Out of the box it came on bios 1.07 and with nothing altered it worked, I could boot up, change the LED settings(both settings located in both 'tools' and 'onboard devices'), save and exit and it would work just fine and reboot like its supposed to.
I then felt a bit more confident and first flashed the most recent bios (1.18) turned off LEDs again and ran FanTuning. I then hit save and exit aand it didnt boot again, getting up to check I saw the by now ever familiar DRAM+CPU debug lights and after waiting 20 minutes they were still on and the computer still hasnt booted. No matter how often I reboot it always gets stuck on DRAM+CPU unless I clear CMOS, after which it will boot up and run just fine unless I enter bios, entering bios will make it get stuck in DRAM+CPU again until I CMOS clear again.

So the exact same issue I had before.
Im kind of at a loss for words honestly. What I wrote above is all I did.
changing and saving the LED settings worked before so its unlikely that this is the culprit. The only other things I touched were FanTuning and the bios updater in Tools, so... using either will brick your motherboard?
Does anyone have any idea of what happened here? Or seen something similar to this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramdomdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 7:31pm
Another thing to note is that although the onboard rbg was on and on rainbow out of the box, after the CMOS clear it _stays_ off and never turns on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic