ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B350m Pro4 Flash failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredWurm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B350m Pro4 Flash failure
    Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 3:06am
I have 2 of these motherboards. I flashed one to bridge bios 7, then to 7.4 and it went fine. I went to flash the second one to bridge 7 and it completed to stating press enter to reboot. I clicked OK and when it rebooted it now beeps two short, four short, three short. There is no output. These beep codes are repeated even with all RAM and CPU stripped. Before doing that I cleared CMOS via jumper and battery pull. After that failed I left battery pulled overnight and tried again.

I went ahead and tried a 1200, 1300x and 1700 in it that I had on hand. I tried single stick of ram and even 2400 ram instead of 3200 just to see if that resolved it.

I was updating this so my daughter could upgrade to a 4500. I now have one kid with a computer and one unhappy camper.

How screwed is this board?

Any help or information is helpful. Usually corrupted bios is no beep return and that's why I am wondering if there is hope for this board.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 4:41am
Short of unsoldering the BIOS ROM and having it flashed externally then resoldered
to the board the only option I can think of is opening a ticket with ASRock:

https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp

They are usually really helpful with bad flashes.

Another long shot solution is to find a cheap ROM programmer with a clip type
setup that is compatible with your BIOS ROM, you could then externally flash
the BIOS without unsoldering it. As far as I am aware 300 series boards didn't
have a flash recovery option like newer boards do. Hopefully ASRock can help you
out.

Good luck

Edited by Xaltar - 01 Mar 2023 at 4:41am
TiredWurm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredWurm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 5:17am
Is the SPI header on the Mobo standard pinout. Then I shouldn't have to unsolder at all.
TiredWurm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiredWurm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 5:18am
if I repair it I will make sure and post here. I was hoping I wouldn't have to flash it with external utilities because it was still making noise.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 7:19am
If you tried it with the same CPU that worked for the other board and there was
still no joy, likely something went wrong with the flash, possibly the microcode
failed to update. No microcode means no supported CPUs, even if everything else
flashed successfully.

You already cleared CMOS and tried a battery pull. Otherwise, there isn't much
more you can try. I am not sure about the SPI header pinout, it wouldn't make
much sense to use a different pinout but it's always a possibility. ASRock
should be able to give you an answer on that one. The only other thing I can think
of is to try with a single stick of RAM in slot A2 with the same CPU that worked
for the other board's updates. If you have already tried that then I'm afraid an
external flash is your only option. Hopefully the SPI header is the standard pinout.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic