ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Z790 PG Sonic Memory Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
daywpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daywpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Z790 PG Sonic Memory Issue
    Posted: 07 Jun 2023 at 5:44pm
Update: with the new bios 6.06 I can run my 4 x 8GB modules at 5600MHz but they still will not boot at 6000MHz..
JCLentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCLentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 12:24am
Two-ish months later. ASRock replaced the motherboard, Intel replaced the CPU and Corsair replaced the memory with a matching kit.

The only change is that 2 memory sticks work in the B_1 and B_2 slot. The manual says it should be B_2 and A_2, yet that configuration does not work.

It's very hard to judge if I'm doing something wrong, there is no documentation about the BIOS (or UEFI)

This is ridiculous.
daywpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daywpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 7:15am
I have also have the same memory and it works just not at rated speeds, but it works with two modules and it doesn't matter what two modules I use.
JCLentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCLentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 5:41am
It is. Even limited to a matching pair for a total of 32gb, it won't boot.

Anyway I've never seen a package of 4 together, it's always 2s.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 12:28am
The memory needs to be a matched set.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

daywpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daywpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 6:01pm
I'm having the same issue with the memory, it?™s all over the place and I'm currently running at 3600MHz trying to get 6000MHz XMP setting or 5400MHz with four sticks of Kingston 8GB 6000MHz modules
JCLentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCLentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 3:21am
Update, testing again, I was getting a stick now showing as 3600. Then checking each stick after that, getting 5600 on every one of them.

It may be the CPU is bad, but I've never seen anything like this happen where the memory speed appeared different every time.
JCLentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCLentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 1:56am
I did find that one of the four sticks was PC-4800 and the others were PC-5600 but that should have just slowed the others down to 4800 instead of not booting at all. So even in a single package they weren't identical.

I haven't seen any memory offered as such anywhere, I've literally only seen memory sold in 2's. If I could have bought 4 in 1, I would have.

Also how am I supposed to test them with a freeware program when I cannot boot the computer to install an OS yet?
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 11:26pm
The memory controler, is integrated in the CPU, it is not on the board, and there is a direct link between pins in the socket, and contacts in the memory slots.
When using multiple modules, always buy them in a kit, in this case a kit of 4, this means all the chips, come from the same production batch, and are identical.
With a freeware program like thaipoon burner, You can view the content of the SPD chips on the module, and check if brand, model, and production date are the same.
If all 4 slots work, when You test them individually with 1 module, it would indicate all slots are okay
Kind Regards
JCLentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCLentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:31am
I've been building a PC with an ASRock motherboard, the Z790 PG Sonic and it's been a nightmare.

I assembled everything and it simply does not boot. The lights on the motherboard indicate that there's a problem with the RAM. So I took that out and tried one stick at a time (I have 4 16gb sticks for a total of 64GB)

It turns out that every stick individually works fine and it will start up and put me in the BIOS, if it's only that stick installed. Any more and it fails to boot entirely. It doesn't seem to matter which sticks, whether it's dual channel or not, it just will not boot if there's more than one stick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic