ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bios keeps resetting after power loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiBaButzemann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bios keeps resetting after power loss
    Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 6:46pm
Hi

my system:
AsRock B450 Pro4
Ryzen 5600 (before Ryzen 2600x with same issue)
Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb (BLS8G4D32AESBK)
RTX 2060

My problem: Bios keeps resetting when there is a powerloss.
In the past i always thought its resetting because the XMP profile of my Ram is not stable. But i bought the Ryzen 5600 and updated the BIOS to the 8.02 version and realized that it has nothing to do with the XMP, because undervolting or even minor BIOS changes also kept resetting after power loss
For testing purpose i didnt change any Bios settings and just cut the power for few minutes. When i started the PC the clock in the BIOS was resetted again.

My first thought was, that the CMOS battery is empty. I swapped it but still the same problem.

Online search gave me various solutions (one included some soldering on the MB and the other some kind of clean wipe of the BIOS with an external device...)

Hope you can help me out here.

Patrick
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:57pm
Hello Patrick,

A clean wipe of the BIOS is absolute nonsens, but reflashing the BIOS, with for instance a SkyproII BIOS programmer with a 1.8Volt voltage convertor (AMD and Intel SOC boards, use a 1.8V BIOS chip, other Intel boards, use 3.3Volt BIOS chips)
Soldering on the boards, is the last thing You should do, each motherboard is made up of multiple layers, and soldering can damage that internal structure.
Sometimes it is caused by the powersupply, and of course it can be the board itzelf
Kind Regards
BiBaButzemann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiBaButzemann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 9:26pm
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Today i could fix the problem even if i dont know how.
I dismantled the computer, measured with a multimeter if the cmos battery is alright and if there is any voltage on the CMOS Reset pins.
Everything seems fine. With the battery removed i shorted those pins for several minutes.
After cleaning my parts i put everything back together with the old battery.
Now it works!
I didnt expect that this changed anything. I was just curious if the motherboard receives the battery power.

Though im still clueless which step did the trick. Whatever. It works and PC is dustfree again :-)

Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic