ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PC keeps shutting down after CPU and BIOS update
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC keeps shutting down after CPU and BIOS update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC keeps shutting down after CPU and BIOS update
    Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 4:45am
So i upgraded my CPU from Ryzen 5 2600 and went to Ryzen 7 5800x.I also bought a new PSU and CPU cooler. Nothing seems to be overheating. The shutdowns happen while gaming.

Specs:
ASRock a320m-dvs r3.0
Nvidia rtx 2070 8gb
Ryzen 7 5800x
16gb RAM
Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750w
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LGA1700
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 8:33am
Woo, I don't think A320M board's VRM will handle 5800X load.
All these companies say it's "compatible," but the higher end CPUs really aren't compatible with budget boards with cost-optimized (marketing speak) power delivery design.

Try ECO mode or manually limit TDP in BIOS and see if that helps. For lightly threaded workload, you likely won't notice any difference in performance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 4:34pm
Your board is an ultra budget board, while it "supports" the 5800x it was never
designed to handle the power draw of such a high end CPU. As eccential said, you
can try using eco mode or manually lower your TDP/CPU voltage in the BIOS.

Personally I would go with under-volting the CPU, there are loads of how to videos
on the subject. This way you can find the sweet spot between heat and performance.

I would highly recommend you upgrade to a higher end motherboard, a B450/B550
based board with decent VRM cooling ideally. I am actually impressed that the
5800x even boots into windows on that board. Unfortunately, there comes a point
where cheap = inadequate. A320 boards were really aimed at low power CPUs and
the budget end of the CPU lineup. As it is, you were pushing it to the limits with
a Ryzen 5.

You may also want to aim a case fan at the VRM area (around the CPU), that should
help a little.

It looks like you got a really good budget board there, for it to have lasted
through a 2600 without issues
xOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 7:10pm
Alright so, what would be a good option for a new board? Doesn't have to be ASRock.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 7:42pm
I'm not as negative about this as Xaltar is. R5-2600 (non-X) was always a 65W CPU, so I'm not surprised it ran fine for years on a budget board. Even R7-5700X might be okay on it, but maybe Xaltar has some intimate knowledge about the budget boards. I set up a R5-3600 (non-X) system on AsRock A520 board for my parent, and it's been running fine, although I did disable boost functionality because it's not needed.

Anyway, since you got a fancy 5800X, just look through available B550 boards and choose the one that meets your requirement (form-factor, budget, features). You'll get access to PCIe Gen4 functionality by moving to 500-series board. *A520 does NOT support Gen4* but you obviously want to skip ultra budget stuff anyway.

Me personally only have one 500-series board, AsRock B550 Phantom Gmaing ITX/ax, but your A320 board is micro-ATX, so I assume you don't want a mini-ITX.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 12:19am
I would say cautious, not negative. For my own use, I have no issue with A320 boards
but for others, when vouching, I tend to err on the side of caution. Regardless
of that, the 5800x is being throttled on an A320 and in this case, causing
thermal shut downs due to the inadequate VRMs. I wouldn't go higher than a 5600
in an A320 and wouldn't recommend higher than a 5300. Reason being, not all our
forum users are knowledgeable about BIOS settings/tweaking. I must tailor my advice
to the novice.

Eccential is on point recommending a B550 board or better. Obviously, depending
on budget, get the best board you can that meets your needs. Look through models
in your budget and assess what you want out of them, USB ports, M.2 slots etc.
Once you have settled on a board (or 2) take a look at reviews and see how they
hold up. An informed purchase is always best.

On the up side, you already have a proven pair with the A320 and the 2600 (if you
still have it). Not a bad start for a second/backup rig
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 6:11am
In my opinion xOB doesn't have to know anything about TDP and VRM.

If I visit ASRock A320M-DVS R3.0 website and read that Ryzen 5800X is supported without any warning saying something like "Supported by BIOS but not by this motherboard .Not recommended" or directly excluding all CPUs with TDP greater than 65W from the list would be enough to avoid disappointments like this.
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic