ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RAID Option Not Appearing in Taichi Z370 UEFI BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAID Option Not Appearing in Taichi Z370 UEFI BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZDoesIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAID Option Not Appearing in Taichi Z370 UEFI BIOS
    Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 3:49am
So, I'm 80% sure this is because I haven't updated by BIOS in forever, but on the 20% chance it's not...

I bought two 4TB Seagate Iron Wolf Drives that I want to mirror as data-only drives. However, although I followed all the steps to switch the SATA mode to Intel RST (RAID) and set storage to UEFI Only, in the UEFI BIOS for my Taichi z370 when I go to "Advanced->Intel Rapid Storage Technology" all I see is my OS disk and no button to create a RAID array from my two Seagates (which do not appear on that page). Otherwise, the BIOS has no trouble seeing the Seagate HDDs in the main "Advanced" section, giving me their serial numbers, etc.

Even after setting the boot settings to UEFI only though I only see "UEFI: ..." in front of my OS drive in the disk selector, but SATA followed by some number corresponding to the slot (3a/b I think) for the Seagates. Which of the 8 SATA ports I put the disks into --as long as I keep them together (vertically: in the top/bottom SATA slot pairs)-- shouldn't matter, right?

The steps are more or less the same as what is shown here: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/RAID/Z590%20Taichi/English.pdf

I'm embarrassed to say how old my BIOS is, but am I being too hopeful that by updating it that somehow the new drives will with show up as eligible for RAID?
EZDoesIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZDoesIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 4:16am
One additional thing to note is that the info box for the Intel RST (RAID) option for SATA mode says that during UEFI post to hit CTRL + I to get a RAID boot menu, but that doesn't work for me. Either that is bogus, or it doesn't work for the same reason (whatever that is) that the two Seagates don't appear as available for RST RAID array creation in the main UEFI BIOS.

Since the Seagates are newer though I'm wondering if it's not on the older Taichi z370 BIOS's compatibility list, and that updating the BIOS will bring with it more support.

CSM, by the way, was the option I was thinking of that you switch to "UEFI Only". I tried "Legacy only" for the heck of it too, but no change. That PDF link above actually was for PCIe storage, which is not applicable to my situation. But it looks like if it was PCIe then the correction option is: "CSM->Disabled". Unless that's also the correct procedure for SATA-slot drives...

Thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic