ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550M Pro4 Bifurcation support£

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock2p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550M Pro4 Bifurcation support£
    Posted: 06 Apr 2023 at 4:06am
Hi.

I understand that B550 chipset supports bifurcation but I'm trying to find out whether this particular MB supports it.

B550M Pro4.

I've done some internet and forum searching but not finding anything conclusive?

Or if anyone knows what menu/sub menus settings for this would be found in the BIOS that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 5:53pm
Use the support form https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp
And check Your spam folder for replies
Kind Regards
ASRock2p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock2p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by threadzipper1957 threadzipper1957 wrote:

Thank you ??
ASRock2p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock2p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by ASRock2p ASRock2p wrote:

Originally posted by threadzipper1957 threadzipper1957 wrote:

Thank you ??

fyi The forum presentation logic misinterpreted my windows emoji insertion of thumbs up to ??

dingyASrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyASrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 6:38pm
Did you ever get an answer to this question?

Looking at 4xNVMe drives running at x4 in the 16 slot but the card requires the motherboard to support the bifurcation.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyASrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by dingyASrock dingyASrock wrote:

Did you ever get an answer to this question?

Looking at 4xNVMe drives running at x4 in the 16 slot but the card requires the motherboard to support the bifurcation.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I've already reached out to support, awaiting response but hoping this would shed more light and perhaps more quickly.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dingyASrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:22pm
Hi all,

Support response was excellent and rapid.

Here it is copied and pasted.

Bifurcation of the PCIe x16 slot is possible. Maximum bifurcation??

?Świth Renoir/Cezanne:

BIOS > Advanced > AMD PBS > PCIe/GFX Lanes Configuration > x8x4x4

?Świth Vermeer/Matisse:

BIOS > Advanced > AMD PBS > PCIe/GFX Lanes Configuration > x4x4x4x4

So if you want to use to use an adapter like that with Renoir, it should work fine. But only 3 M.2 SSDs can be used. You will have to test to find out which 3 of the 4 M.2 sockets on the card can be used.

You might have to disable CSM as well:

BIOS > Boot > CSM > CSM > Disabled

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Technical Support Department
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:37pm
Thanks for sharing your response

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyASrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 7:46pm
No problem.

I've asked another.

The "energy efficient self-build NAS" crowd (probably a small crowd!) will absolutely be interested depending on the answer I get.

Regards.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyASrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by dingyASrock dingyASrock wrote:

No problem.

I've asked another.

The "energy efficient self-build NAS" crowd (probably a small crowd!) will absolutely be interested depending on the answer I get.

Regards.

For the affordable home-build NAS crowd looking at options. I think this is solid board for both affordability and feature set.

Below is a series of Q/response from support about my intentions to use it with 5 NVMe, a 10GB NIC and 4 SATA HDD (actually up to 6 SATA possible with increasing bottleneck risk is my takeaway):

The exchange is below. Answers from tech support are bound by quotations:

----

This is what I am trying to achieve with the board and the PCIe lanes I have available. Using a Renoir 4350G and an NVMe adaptor card bifuracted in the x16 slot:

- 4 NVMe drives total available for storage

- 1 NVMe boot (can go down to a SATA SSD on a shared port or something if required)

"5 NVMe SSDs should work fine that way. 3 on the adapter card, and 2 on the motherboard."

- 4 SATA HDD on unshared SATA III ports

"All good."

- 10Gb NIC

"The x16 slot operating at PCIe 3.0 x4 should provide sufficient bandwidth for that."

- If relevant I'll be using 128Gb ECC unbuffered in 32Gb sticks.

"With APUs, ECC functionality is supported only with the PRO versions. Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G is suitable."

If this config is possible, could you note any performance bottle necks due PCIe lane availability that jump out at you regarding the 10Gbs NIC and NVMe.

"PCIE1 and M2_1 are connected directly to the CPU.

The other PCIe slots, M.2 socket and SATA ports are all connected to the chipset.

The chipset is linked to the CPU via PCIe 3.0 x4. If there is a bottleneck, that is where it is.

PCIe 3.0 x4 ??4 GBps

10 Gbit NIC ??1.25 GBps

M2_2 is PCIe 3.0 x2 ??2 GBps

4x SATA is max 4x 600 MBps ??2.4 GBps

Total: 5.65 GBps + USB

So in theory, there can be a bottleneck, on any AM4 board. Most users will not fully saturate all of those lanes simultaneously."

-----

That's it. Nothing more for the thread. Hope this helps someone.

Awesome response time from ASrock tech support via email. Don't assume it will take an age like I always do. Reddit is not always the way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic