ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't update bios on Steel Legend X670E

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't update bios on Steel Legend X670E
    Posted: 16 Apr 2023 at 10:33am
First build in about 15 years, how things change! Anyway, tried to flash the bios as per the manual, went with 12.05, downloaded and transferred to usb and renamed etc. Put the drive into the correct slot and pressed the button which flashed as I held it for 3 secs but upon release it flashed twice more before going steady green.
What's going wrong?
Strangely strange yet oddly normal.
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 12:02am
I have read several times here problems updating BIOS via Flashback button, any problem via Instant Flash tool in BIOS?
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
Patches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 7:10am
I can't get into the bios to find out, I've cleared the cmos but it hangs up on the dram light flashing forever. I think I shall try pulling the ram and use different slots. Why doesn't the manual suggest what the solution might be to the flashing lights, they can tell you what's wrong but not how to fix it!
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 5:11pm
Yes, using a single stick of RAM on A2 is usually a good starting point for troubleshooting.

My advice is to get in the hands of ASRock technical support, surely it is the fastest way

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

PS: I agree, the troubleshooting information provided on ASRock website is sparse and could be greatly improved.

Good luck
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
Patches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 9:44pm
Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I pulled the ram and tried just what you suggested with one stick only (removes and replaced another 3 times) and same result. I'll try the tech support today once I've gotten up!!
mrbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Patches Patches wrote:

tried to flash the bios as per the manual, went with 12.05

What version of bios is that and where did you get it from? I don't see it in the official downloads for SL X670E at all.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#BIOS

I see a bios version 12.05 exists for SL Z690 motherboards. Something isn't quite adding up here. It looks like you either have the wrong firmware or you misidentified what motherboard you have in the title of your post.
ASRock X670E Steel Legend (ABA159EAF581)
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill F5-5200J4040A16GX2-RS5K
WD SN570 2TB
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
Win 11 Pro
Patches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 7:06am
Lousy proofreading, should have said 12.04 from this page https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS . I get the same results when I try the one suggested which I had first looked for and found. Dunno why I couldn't relocate that again....old fart here. Tried different usb keys today, no luck and now I realize I'll need a new keyboard to navigate the bios anyway!! Thanks for your reply, appreciate any suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic