ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PCIe Storage Expansion Card not detected in BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PCIe Storage Expansion Card not detected in BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingloopers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCIe Storage Expansion Card not detected in BIOS
    Posted: 20 May 2023 at 6:35pm
Hi there,

I have a b550m itx/ac and I wanted to get some more SATA ports on it for more storage since its going into my NAS system. I got a StarTech 2-Port PCI Express to SATA Expansion Card which said plug and play yet when I plug it in, it doesn't seem to work. Confused, I tested with another PC I have and it does work. I'm running a 4600G as my CPU.

Is there a BIOS setting or something that I need to enable to get it to function? I've seen forums saying this but there were for different vendor boards.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:31am
windows doesnt see it?

if you want bios to see it, then the only purpose for it would be to utilise built in raid or to boot from drive connected to that sata adapter
bios shouldnt see that card as it has its own bios ooprom which works only when CSM is turned on (legacy bios) and storage set to legacy and loading optional ooproms is enabled in bios setup

Edited by kerberos_20 - 22 May 2023 at 8:32am
Hoenhyme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoenhyme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 4:50am
I also built a NAS system using the b550m itx/ac motherboard, mainly because it was one of the few options for ITX available. NAS is a 5 bay but the motherboard only has 4 SATA ports so I added a PCIe expansion card with two extra SATA ports. Previous tried replacing the WIFI card with and M.2 A+E two port SATA card. When that didn't work I bought another thinking the first may be bad. When the second didn't work I bought a PCIe card with two SATA ports. Problem is the 5th drive isn't being recognized in BIOS. When I boot to Unraid the same, I see four of the five drives. Is it the motherboard that is the issue? I have replaced cards, cables and drives. I know all the parts are good.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Hoenhyme Hoenhyme wrote:

I also built a NAS system using the b550m itx/ac motherboard, mainly because it was one of the few options for ITX available. NAS is a 5 bay but the motherboard only has 4 SATA ports so I added a PCIe expansion card with two extra SATA ports. Previous tried replacing the WIFI card with and M.2 A+E two port SATA card. When that didn't work I bought another thinking the first may be bad. When the second didn't work I bought a PCIe card with two SATA ports. Problem is the 5th drive isn't being recognized in BIOS. When I boot to Unraid the same, I see four of the five drives. Is it the motherboard that is the issue? I have replaced cards, cables and drives. I know all the parts are good.

external sata card does not interact with mainboard sata controller, thats why you cant see it in bios and bios wont detect your drives connected to such external sata card, because bios doe not have drivers (modules) for it

if sata card has ooprom (bios driver), then you can enable ooprom loading (in bios setup) so that bios driver gets loaded after mainboard finishes POSTing (befor OS loads), connected drives would be than shown there
if there is no ooprom or its not compatible with your bios/uefi mode, then OS wont see your drives until you install driver for that sata controller
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic