ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - z690 Windows 11 activation after flashing the bios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z690 Windows 11 activation after flashing the bios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonah255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z690 Windows 11 activation after flashing the bios
    Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:09am
I have a z690 wifi extreme and I recently flashed my bios 13.02. At that time Windows started complaining about not being activated. I called Microsoft and they said that it was blocked, it'd already been activated twice (OEM) which lines up the fact that I had flashed the bios one other time since activating.

I saw a similar complaint for another mfg's z690 board. Is it possible the identifiers microsoft uses for fingerprinting the system in the TPM/PTT is getting wiped out during the flash?

Thanks,
Jonah
jonah255 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonah255 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:26am
vpx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vpx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 8:26pm
Having the same problem after I updated an H670 Steel Legend BIOS from 8.02 to 13.01.

The Windows 11 activation error code is: 0xC004C060

Some values from the terminal command "slmgr.vbs /dlv":

Product Key Channel: OEM:DM

Notification Reason: 0xC004F034

You can use the built-in activation troubleshooter as mentioned in the Reddit post but then they try to link your Windows to your Microsoft account (if it's not already linked or was bought with it).

I canceled that because I don't want that.

I noticed that the BIOS update also updated the Intel Management Engine. Maybe that triggered Windows 11 to think there was a hardware change. There was also some new ASRock Automatic Driver Installer (ADI) software popping up after the update.

If it was just a Windows 11 issue then there would be much more cases.

But Windows 11 seems to be more strict with hardware changes or we would see the same in Windows 10.

Maybe they want to slowly sort out keys that are not bound to a Microsoft account.

For now I'll leave it unactivated as the only drawbacks of it are:

1. The Activate Windows watermark
2. Activation message on Windows Settings
3. No Personalization settings
4. Frequent notification to activate Windows
vpx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vpx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 9:01pm
This post on the EVGA forum explains the cause:

https://forums.evga.com/BIOS-update-causing-Windows-activation-issues-m3585166-p2.aspx#3593184

This sounds reasonable as there was also a warning about the TPM before the flashing:

"[NOTICE]
Please suspend BitLocker and any encryption or security relying on the TPM.
Make sure that you have already stored and backed-up the recovery key.
If the recovery key is missing while encryption is active, the data will
stay encrypted and the system will not boot into the operating system.

Continue ?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic