ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Eban be used on Z170M extreme 4?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DoMiSoLa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoMiSoLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Eban be used on Z170M extreme 4?
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:16am
Yes, I did get the disc. Yes, I did try changing the order. I have done those things before I posted the first post.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:07am
Originally posted by DoMiSoLa DoMiSoLa wrote:

First at all, thank you very much for taking time to read and reply my post.

As your saying, I mean your last sentence, the DVD did run from boot. So I assume all Bios setting could do here is arranging order of boot device, and once it success the rest of things are irrelevant to it, am I right? Let's assume it is right, so the problem is not from motherboard! So, probably problem is my new HDD? But, there is a big problem.

Now, I am very very confused.

Let me show you my confusion.
My old pc could run Dban, so old motherboard, DVD and old HDD are fine, right?

Then, both this old HDD and a completely new HDD can't work at new computer and they have some problem when I use the DVD, I mean they have some problem quote coming out. So base on that, new HDD shouldn't be problem right?

Therefore, if HDD, Motherboard, and DVD are not problem at all, I don't know what's going on there? Oh, and I never run Dban under windows system, I always use it from boot.

At the end, I am so sorry, this is first time I posting a post here, and I didn't provide enough information as I should. And I am also not a native English speaker, sometimes, I mean usually I would spell some words wrong, sorry for bothering you.

If you are not a native English speaking person, I know it is hard for you to tell us about your problem.

It is also hard for me to understand you, but I am happy to work with you and try to help you tell us what the problem is. Smile

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to tell us in your second post.

I said you probably need to change the boot order to get the DBAN disk to boot, since DBAN should be used by itself, not run from Windows.

My questions for you:

Did you get the DBAN disk to boot yet? I think the answer is no.

Did you try going into the BIOS and changing the boot order so the PC will boot from the DBAN disk? If you did not do that yet, then you should try that.

If you did boot from the DBAN disk on the new PC, and then get the error message you included in your first post, then something is wrong. I do not think the problem is the new HDD.

Please answer my questions so we can understand what you have done.
DoMiSoLa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoMiSoLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:06pm
First at all, thank you very much for taking time to read and reply my post.

As your saying, I mean your last sentence, the DVD did run from boot. So I assume all Bios setting could do here is arranging order of boot device, and once it success the rest of things are irrelevant to it, am I right? Let's assume it is right, so the problem is not from motherboard! So, probably problem is my new HDD? But, there is a big problem.

Now, I am very very confused.

Let me show you my confusion.
My old pc could run Dban, so old motherboard, DVD and old HDD are fine, right?

Then, both this old HDD and a completely new HDD can't work at new computer and they have some problem when I use the DVD, I mean they have some problem quote coming out. So base on that, new HDD shouldn't be problem right?

Therefore, if HDD, Motherboard, and DVD are not problem at all, I don't know what's going on there? Oh, and I never run Dban under windows system, I always use it from boot.

At the end, I am so sorry, this is first time I posting a post here, and I didn't provide enough information as I should. And I am also not a native English speaker, sometimes, I mean usually I would spell some words wrong, sorry for bothering you.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by DoMiSoLa DoMiSoLa wrote:

Is there any BIOS setting to run a bootable EBAN 2.3.0 DVD that I don't know?

Because it did happen to me when I tried whole day to install windows 7, at the end, it turns out all I need is just changing one USB setting in BIOS. Just one setting, and 8 hours are gone.

So, if anyone knows how to fix it, please help me who are definitely the newbie of computer technology.

Oh, almost forgot to say the details. Every time after I press ENTER key(to start DBAN in interactive mode) it will show:

"cat: can't open '/proc/cmdline': No such file or directory"

So, help, please!

FYI, I also need to say, the DVD is not the problem. This problem came after I upgraded my motherboard to Asrock Z170m extreme 4.

I assume you are talking about DBAN, Darik's Boot And Nuke? Not EBAN, as in the title of your thread, and in the post itself?

Assuming DBAN, you said the DVD is not the problem. Is that because you have used it before on other PCs, and it works fine? Just trying to establish that your DBAN disk is working as it should, and we are not working with an incorrectly created DBAN disk.

Your problem is you cannot boot from the DVD, correct? You want to boot from the DBAN DVD, not run it in in Windows, right?

Since you said you are not a PC technology person, I'll describe this in simple terms, and assume you know very little about this topic.

To boot from any bootable device, it must be the first boot device in a PC's boot order. There are other ways to select a bootable device, but a basic method is the device is simply the first or only device in the boot order.

To select the DBAN disk to boot from, after inserting it into the optical drive (assuming the PC is running) you start/restart the PC so you can go into the BIOS and select it as the first boot device.

To get into the BIOS, as the PC restarts/starts, you press the Del key multiple times until the main BIOS screen is displayed.

Once in the BIOS screen, find the Boot screen tab at the top of the screen, and click on it with your mouse.

In the Boot screen, you should find entries for "Boot Option 1", "Boot Option 2", and possibly more.

Click on the Boot Option 1 entry. It should then expand into a list of bootable device that are connected to your PC. One of those entries should be for the DBAN disk. Click on that entry, which should then show it listed as the Boot Option 1 device.

Prior to doing this, the drive that contains Windows 7 should have been the device listed as the Boot Option 1 device. That drive should have moved to the second device in the list after you selected the DBAN disk as the boot device.

After you set the DBAN disk as the primary boot device in Boot Option 1, click on the Exit screen tab at the top of the screen. In the Exit screen, click on the Save and Exit option. That will save the changes to the Boot order, restart the PC, and the DBAN disk should then boot and the main DBAN screen will be displayed.

If that does not happen, and Windows 7 boots again, something is wrong and you must go back into the BIOS and check the Boot Option 1 ordering again.

While you may have selected the DBAN disk in the Boot Option 1 order list, you really are selecting the optical drive as the first boot device. Your other mother board or PC may have had the Boot order configured with the optical drive as the first boot device. With this configuration, if a disk is in the optical drive when the PC starts or restarts, the PC will attempt to boot from the disk. If there is no disk in the optical drive, the PC will then try to boot from the second device in the Boot Order list, which is normally the Windows/OS drive.

This configuration of the Boot order is done as a convenience for those that are not PC hardware experienced. If the BIOS of your ASRock mother board was not configured in this way, that is not a fault of the board itself or the BIOS. People that buy mother boards get a system that has some pre-configured settings, but most things are left for the user to setup to their liking.

You can leave the Boot order unchanged once you are done using the DBAN disk, which will cause the optical drive to be checked for a disk before the Windows drive is used as the boot device. That is, if you like this configuration.

You lost me with the, "Oh, almost forgot to say the details. Every time after I press ENTER key(to start DBAN in interactive mode) it will show:

"cat: can't open '/proc/cmdline': No such file or directory
"

How is that happening if you did not boot from the DBAN disk? Does that happen if you run DBAN from within Windows 7?
DoMiSoLa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoMiSoLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:14am
Is there any BIOS setting to run a bootable EBAN 2.3.0 DVD that I don't know?

Because it did happen to me when I tried whole day to install windows 7, at the end, it turns out all I need is just changing one USB setting in BIOS. Just one setting, and 8 hours are gone.

So, if anyone knows how to fix it, please help me who are definitely the newbie of computer technology.

Oh, almost forgot to say the details. Every time after I press ENTER key(to start DBAN in interactive mode) it will show:

"cat: can't open '/proc/cmdline': No such file or directory"

So, help, please!

FYI, I also need to say, the DVD is not the problem. This problem came after I upgraded my motherboard to Asrock Z170m extreme 4.

Edited by DoMiSoLa - 07 May 2016 at 10:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic