ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

M.2 SSD not booting up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M.2 SSD not booting up
    Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 6:48pm
I cloned Windows 10 C drive from a SATA SSD drive and put it into the M.2_1 slot. It appears in the storage configuration and bootable options. I enabled it as #1 choice.
The M.2 drive appears on the computer and can be used but the computer does not boot up from it. I disconnect the old C drive SATA SSd and on start up the computer says I have to connect a bootable device.
The motherboard is an AB350 Pro4 and the new M.2 SSD is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2Tb. I looked it up and it came up as compatible with the motherboard.
I want to change because I keep running out of space for new software on the old drive.

Asrock AB350 Pro 4
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Cre Processor
Ram 32 GB
BIOS V. 3.2
AB350 Pro4
Windows 10
DDR432 GB
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 3:07pm
what efibootmgr displays for new device and what for the original one?

for windows it might been "bcdedit /enum firmware" or something
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
Alex R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 8:40pm
Thanks for answering M440

I am not an expert and don't know how to find out about the bcdedit/enum.

What I can say is that the SSD is found on the boot menu.

However, the SSD is connected to the M.2_1 (PCIe) slot.

Should I connect it to the M.2.2 (SATA) slot where the C drive is connected (SATA3_3) and disconnect the old drive? Would that work?
AB350 Pro4
Windows 10
DDR432 GB
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 2:22am
cloning is not enough (that is provided you did a perfect disk copy including the disk EFI partition) the UEFI bios need to know where is efi boot file to make it a Boot entry.

Colloquially you can say that UEFI bios does not boot a drive, but EFI files on the drives.

You have to do this manually using bcdedit or try the startup repair from the windows installation media.

try doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awsXR8STUo

I would remove the original disk you made the clone of, because this might confuse the process.

asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic