ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Recovery 990FX Extreme9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 11:51am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Now to identify the reason.

The 9xx chipsets do not have native USB 3.0. Instead relying on 3rd party Etron or whoever USB 3.0 controllers.

But will the USB flash drive even be recognized by Instant Flash in one of the Etron USB 3.0 ports?

I'll post tomorrow if it does. IIRC it does. Maybe ASRock could disable Instant Flash from recognizing the non-native usb 3.0 ports. That'd be nice, if in fact that is what's happening.

But it'll have to wait as I'm tired and the bed's calling my name.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 6:46pm

Now to identify the reason.

The 9xx chipsets do not have native USB 3.0. Instead relying on 3rd party Etron or whoever USB 3.0 controllers.

But will the USB flash drive even be recognized by Instant Flash in one of the Etron USB 3.0 ports?

Quixotically, yes it is. Which again I'll stand by my original conclusion of folks mistakenly using a usb 3.0 port with which to flash/brick.
jamiea249 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiea249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 9:05am
I have the 1.80 bio and have no problem with that but I was on 1.70 and at late I have been having problem with the display turning off and no the plugs are fine no problems there is my GC getting hot no it stays at 35c to 40c even under load this would happen at random time made no changes to the computer there has been a few drivers that have been updated at late but nothing that would make this happen. I check a few other things some times it would give me a code error 62 after this happens. some times I would be working on stuff with like no load then it would have this happen at random. I try restarting with reset but then gives me code error 62 then I have to press and hold power button then to shut it down and then restart that way to get it to work right. some times I can have it in sleep mode and then a few minutes later it would do this to. but not every time, I have this same motherboard. this error just started happening for the last few days. any help would be great.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 10:16am
Originally posted by jamiea249 jamiea249 wrote:

I have the 1.80 bio and have no problem with that but I was on 1.70 and at late I have been having problem with the display turning off and no the plugs are fine no problems there is my GC getting hot no it stays at 35c to 40c even under load this would happen at random time made no changes to the computer there has been a few drivers that have been updated at late but nothing that would make this happen. I check a few other things some times it would give me a code error 62 after this happens. some times I would be working on stuff with like no load then it would have this happen at random. I try restarting with reset but then gives me code error 62 then I have to press and hold power button then to shut it down and then restart that way to get it to work right. some times I can have it in sleep mode and then a few minutes later it would do this to. but not every time, I have this same motherboard. this error just started happening for the last few days. any help would be great.

Odd. 62 is chipset initialization and the way around that is to rest the BIOS.

Scroll down to page 3:
http://asrock.com/support/qa/TSDQA-102.pdf

Have you added any hardware recently?

Too, if you've had your board for any length of time I'd replace the CMOS battery and cross my fingers.

frapuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frapuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 4:07am
Another BIOS (MB?) bricked by a succesfull (but not gone as expected) bios upgrade to 1.80.

I admit, I used USB3 port, actually it's not written anywhere using USB2 is mandatory... shouldn't InstantFlash verify bios integrity anfter having loaded it and before flashing it? I don't know. Anyway it immediately found the bios and loaded it into motherboard.

"Bios upgrade succesful" or something like that. Press OK to reset.

I hit Enter and NOTHING. Dr Debug = 00. Never changed to anything different after bios upgrade. Before the PC worked and booted like a charm.

1.70 BIOS was present. Now I really hope a BIOS chip from EBay can solve it seeing no flashback\recovery feature is present. Will it?

Thanks for help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:15am
Originally posted by frapuni frapuni wrote:

Another BIOS (MB?) bricked by a succesfull (but not gone as expected) bios upgrade to 1.80.

I admit, I used USB3 port, actually it's not written anywhere using USB2 is mandatory... shouldn't InstantFlash verify bios integrity anfter having loaded it and before flashing it? I don't know. Anyway it immediately found the bios and loaded it into motherboard.

I hit Enter and NOTHING. Dr Debug = 00. Never changed to anything different after bios upgrade. Before the PC worked and booted like a charm.

1.70 BIOS was present. Now I really hope a BIOS chip from EBay can solve it seeing no flashback\recovery feature is present. Will it?

Thanks for help.

Have you tried a HARD BIOS reset? Battery out, then BIOSCLR jumper to short?
frapuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frapuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:19am

Originally posted by frapuni frapuni wrote:

Thanks for help.

Have you tried a HARD BIOS reset? Battery out, then BIOSCLR jumper to short?

Yes, of course. I waited one hour. tonight I am trying the full night without battery no power CLRTC\CMOS jumper on reset and tomorrow I'll try again but every reset tries have been a no go.
frapuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frapuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 12:24am
Tried after an entire night of no battery following the procedure in this forum.

Nothing. Still Dr Debug 00 with little flickering too. Motherboard and fans turn on. After a while some fans like video card stop. No post, black screen.
frapuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frapuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 5:26am
I wrote to Asrock support. They have been very kind and they'll send me a new BIOS chip. They think it could solve the problem.

They told me that USB2 or USB3 port is not relevant (even if just USB2 ones support BIOS feature to be recovered in case of power failures). I have just been unlucky, as some other guys here.

I will change BIOS chip as soon as it arrives and let you know.
frapuni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frapuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 10:49pm
Received new BIOS chip from Ebay. WORKED PERFECTLY (just the GUID firewire error but it is sufficient to disable firewire)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic