FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No POST after Windows 11 update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No POST after Windows 11 update
    Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 2:53pm
Thanks for the update and the fix Punchanella. QVLs, particularly with newer platforms,
IE. first generation, are essential. AM5 is far from mature, even if AMD learned from
AM4 I wouldn't call AM5 mature until at least the next generation.

The reason I say that is simply because, while motherboards and firmware may have
matured, the CPUs themselves have not. Even with newer CPU revisions there is
no guarantee that a CPU purchased isn't an early production model. The memory
controller resides on the CPU so compatibility begins there. Firmware (BIOS)
updates can mitigate some incompatibility with workarounds (voltage and timing
tweaks) but not fully resolve them. In short, a BIOS can only do so much when
some of the issue resides in the CPU itself. With the next generation of CPUs
we will likely see better RAM compatibility as the IMC is refined and tuned better
for DDR5.

Punchanella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punchanella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 10:03am
FWIW (in case anyone with similar issues lands on this via a search) I resolved my issue with a new RAM kit. I went from a Corsair Vengence kit that wasn't on my motherboard's QVL to Kingston Fury which I made sure was on the list. System has been stable since with no restart issues.

People increasingly say QVLs aren't as relevant as AM5 matures but for me is this instance it's done the trick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punchanella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 6:17am
Oh and to add I'm running the latest version 1.28 BIOS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punchanella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2023 at 6:05am
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my platform with the following components:

Asrock x670e Pro RS
Ryzen 7700x
32gb Corsair Vengence 6000Mhz CL36

Everything is connected to a Corsair RM750i PSU which I bought late 2016. I have Corsair iCue running and the PSU is reporting good working order. I've had no issues with it in the years prior.
GPU is a Radeon 6700XT (Powercolor Red Devil) I bought in 2021 and it's been working well.

My issue is after a substantial Windows 11 update (the ones that prompt to install then shutdown or restart) my system switches off and won't POST. No power, no lights, no fans. If I turn the PSU off at the power switch near the power connector for a few mins and power on, everthing comes up fine. When this occurs I'll check my BIOS settings - EXPO profiles, custom fan settings etc. and they're intact ie: the BIOS does not reset to default settings.

Under normal conditions (no windows updates) the system will power off, on and do soft restarts without issue.

Am curious to know if anyone has encountered similar and whether there's a fix or BIOS settting I may not be aware of?

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic