ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N3150M no POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 4:43am
Glad to be of help Wink
paulbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 8:57am
mehhh. So I go to do some rearranging and notice the outside ram module is hot, enough to sortof burn my finger. Didn't scald it or cause a blister, but definitely still feel the burn. Tried a set of GSkill 1.5V modules but the board wouldn't boot. The same Gskill that I got the board to boot originally. This isn't right.  Left it runiing with a fan blowing on the board for now. Board is still not in a case., ambient temps are 72F.

I did go into bios and set the memory voltage to 1.5 from the default Auto.

Edited by paulbot - 16 May 2016 at 8:59am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 11:41am
Originally posted by paulbot paulbot wrote:

I did have success this morning with a single module of GSkill ram, but also disconnected a hdd that already had windows 10 installed. I got a POST screen that said del or F something to enter bios, F2 I think to load defaults. I checked a couple settings in bios, saved it, and reconnected the hdd I had handy which was AHCI enabled.

So the jury's out on which is the culprit, ram or not having a UEFI boot.

Why would you need a UEFI booting Windows installation?

If you think you do because the board has UEFI firmware, that is not true. The default settings in the UEFI for DIY boards are all set for legacy booting, and secure boot is not enabled.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by paulbot paulbot wrote:

mehhh. So I go to do some rearranging and notice the outside ram module is hot, enough to sortof burn my finger. Didn't scald it or cause a blister, but definitely still feel the burn. Tried a set of GSkill 1.5V modules but the board wouldn't boot. The same Gskill that I got the board to boot originally. This isn't right.  Left it runiing with a fan blowing on the board for now. Board is still not in a case., ambient temps are 72F.

I did go into bios and set the memory voltage to 1.5 from the default Auto.

If a DDR3 DIMM is hot to the touch, something is wrong. Most DDR3 memory is rated for 1.5V.

The DIMM was still hot after the PC was shut off and removed from power, when you were working on it? Confused

Set the DRAM voltage to Auto if you don't know what the voltage should be... and then find out what it should be.

I have one of these boards too, came right up the first time. Supports UEFI booting too.
paulbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 7:32am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The DIMM was still hot after the PC was shut off and removed from power, when you were working on it? Confused

Yes it was still hot, I had powered it down and felt the DIMM since it had happened the first time I tried to power up the board, with the same 2 DIMMs installed. They are 1.5V modules, and the outside slot DIMM gets hot with V set at auto and 1.5. I suppose I could try 1.35V, looks like they are not running at their rated speed on this board anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic