ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

N3150M no POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N3150M no POST
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:10am
Just received an N3150M from newegg, hooked up a psu, several different pairs of ram, and no POST. Currently doing the recommended bios reset, pulling the battery etc. I have this on my bench with a cheap 2 port kvm switch on d-sub and usb. Any pointers where to start. hdd powers up but not active, does bios default to d-sub output in stock settings? Thanks for any pointers.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:59am
My N3150M was plug and go. Clearing CMOS is always a good place to start with most hardware issues so you are on the right track there. I would connect the system directly to a monitor and keyboard for testing purposes. A KVM switch may not be sending the correct signals to the system to enable post. I have seen a bad keyboard prevent a system from powering on. 

D-Sub worked out of the box for me with no alterations to the UEFI so that isn't the problem. 

I had no issues with my 3 different sets of RAM on my board:

8gb Adata XMS DDR3 1600 (2x4) : 1.5v
8gb Apacer Thunderbird DDR3 2800 (2x4) @1600 : 1.65v
4gb Adata Premier DDR3 1600 (1x4) : 1.5v

Ram compatibility seems to be pretty good with these N3XXX boards but it may be worth trying some RAM from the compatibility list to rule out incompatibility.
paulbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:06pm
Thanks, will try different ram. I did check compatibility list, doesn't look like I have any on said list. I did notice the first pair, Crucial Ballistic, 2x4GB, one module was pretty hot when I removed it, at some point today I will try a single module.
mikiem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 1:57am
>>"Just received an N3150M from newegg, hooked up a psu, several different pairs of ram, and no POST."

Purely FWIW...
I don't *think* the Beebox is as picky about 1 stick of RAM -- it seems *maybe* picky with 2. At any rate, in the other thread I posted the number for the set that's worked on 2 Beeboxes that I know of.

Otherwise you don't mention a drive hooked up... With a blank GPT SSD mine would not post unless I had a USB stick plugged in. I *think* it was because the UEFI bios looked for a FAT32 partition, which the USB stick provided.

The reason I think that may be the case, is that with 10 installed, the boot menu in the bios changed to only list 10's boot mgr./loader, so there has to be some interaction with that FAT32 partition [where the boot files are located] going on.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:53am
Originally posted by mikiem mikiem wrote:

>>"Just received an N3150M from newegg, hooked up a psu, several different pairs of ram, and no POST."

Purely FWIW...
I don't *think* the Beebox is as picky about 1 stick of RAM -- it seems *maybe* picky with 2. At any rate, in the other thread I posted the number for the set that's worked on 2 Beeboxes that I know of.

Otherwise you don't mention a drive hooked up... With a blank GPT SSD mine would not post unless I had a USB stick plugged in. I *think* it was because the UEFI bios looked for a FAT32 partition, which the USB stick provided.

The reason I think that may be the case, is that with 10 installed, the boot menu in the bios changed to only list 10's boot mgr./loader, so there has to be some interaction with that FAT32 partition [where the boot files are located] going on.

Just an FYI, this is the N3150M, the Beebox uses the same N3150 SoC CPU but it is a different system. The N3150M takes standard DDR3 DIMMs not SODIMMs like the beebox or the N3150-ITX.
paulbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 5:42am
I did have success this morning with a single module of GSkill ram, but also disconnected a hdd that already had windows 10 installed. I got a POST screen that said del or F something to enter bios, F2 I think to load defaults. I checked a couple settings in bios, saved it, and reconnected the hdd I had handy which was AHCI enabled.

So the jury's out on which is the culprit, ram or not having a UEFI boot.

Edited by paulbot - 14 May 2016 at 5:43am
mikiem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 8:27am
>>"So the jury's out on which is the culprit, ram or not having a UEFI boot."

Don't know if any of this will help or not, so again, just FWIW.
UEFI bios are often tricky because they often have legacy or so-called compatibility modes, seem to sometimes get confused on which one they're supposed to be in, &/or because of the different modes present, don't behave as 100% UEFI or legacy bios. [I read -- & have absolutely no idea if true or not -- that Microsoft put some restrictions on that sort of thing for small PCs & tablets for them to qualify for free licenses of win10 Home.]

It can be a mess... If you can get into the bios, some people have found it works better for them with various motherboards to disable or enable UEFI-related compatibility settings &/or secure boot settings -- they weren't having secure boot issues as much as those settings effected other aspects of how the bios worked. I've had luck once or twice having a Windows install DVD, or any bootable CD/DVD connected, & other times I've had to install from a DVD -- that put the bios into a legacy mode when the UEFI mode was messed up, & I switched everything to UEFI later.

RE: the hard drive, it *may sometimes* help to follow Microsoft's directions on prepping the drive -- they've got a few docs I think you'll find if you search their site with terms like windows 8 format gpt. It shouldn't matter much, but it seems to -- there are quite a few posts online agreeing that it can help. Doing it their way the formatting & setting up partitions is different than what you'll get using a lot of software tools.
paulbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 10:12pm
Looks like the board is going back for an RMA, indeed one of the memory slots is bad, it doesn't see the second of a matched pair of ram.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 12:49am
That is odd, is the RAM 1.35v, 1.5v or 1.65v? I know my N3150M only posts with one module if it is in the correct slot, using the other slot causes post failure so there is no real way to test if the other slot is working other than populating both slots. I have no issues running the dual channel RAM I listed earlier. Do you have any other RAM you could test with? It may be worth updating the BIOS using a single stick of RAM and seeing if that resolves your issue.
paulbot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulbot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:36am
Got the latest bios, updated, checked the ram it was 1.65V, swapped it for a pair that I had tried earlier, they are 1.5V, now second channel is working. I see in bios there are settings for dram V of 1.35 and 1.5V. It was the pair I had initially installed, Crucial Ballistix, that one of the modules had gotten pretty hot. That led me to think I had a bad slot, but apparently not. 

Thanks for the help, I would have sent it off and a new one would have done the same thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic